Which White

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker12

Reaction score
Never owned a White Muzzy but with nothing else on the wish list I am looking at acquiring one. I am just staring my research on them so sill pretty much uninformed on what's out there. I know I want a .45 but other than that no sure. I do live out east and the gun will get used on Whitetails and black bear. If you had to pick one which would you opt for?

If you want a White..... I would take whatever came along that was in good shape. They are getting harder and more expensive to acquire every year.
.50 and .54 caliber Whites are awesome whitetail and black bear rifles as well. A .45 cal would be really nice to have but they are the most sought after . Usually making them the most expensive and hardest to find.
Good luck in your search.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd say a white thunder bolt. I truly love mine .

Guess I need to read up on the differences in the different models. Kind of daunting when you get started. Any problem areas that I should look for when buying a used gun.

I have always wanted a Muzzy that was capable of shooting big lead bullets. I have a couple Colorado hunts I can draw next year and want to go that route. A White seems to be a popular gun for that. Am I looking in the right direction.

I don't think there's a bad model to have. I think the only problem with them is the one piece breech plugs. Having to replace the whole plug when the flash hole gets too large. There is a replacement plug that takes a seperate nipple now.
Bestil on this forum makes and sells them. I have five of them and love them. I can switch from#11 to a Musket nipple whenever I want. Plus to replace the nipples cost between 6-8 dollars.

Bestil on this forum makes and sells them. I have five of them and love them. I can switch from#11 to a Musket nipple whenever I want. Plus to replace the nipples cost between 6-8 dollars.
Hey Ed,
Does Jeff sell the plug out right or do you send him your plug and he modifies it? (sorry for going off track)

A ThunderBolt in .451. Good Luck on finding one. You stand a better chance in obtaining an M98 and having Doc Retrofit it for the bolt. It's the same rifle except for a notch in the receiver to accommodate the bolt.

So are there much difference in the actions in the different models.. I am looking at a M98 and Bison this week that a local guy has. At least I will get my hands on one.

Last edited:
The M98 should have two recoil lug's and a pull cock hammer where the Bison has one, with a side latch hammer assembly.
I have owned a Bison, sold it to get a M97 .451. I doubt you will be disappointed in either one if they are in good shape.

Latest posts

Back