Whiskey?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhillshunter

Reaction score
What is everyone's "go to" Whiskey? I usually keep a bottle of Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare around. But Buffalo Trace is my go to, as it seems very smooth and priced right.

Just curious as to what others like.

IMG_0568.jpg

Bushmills. Thanks, I came in to eat lunch after turning over about half the raised garden beds, and was heading out to do the rest, but now think whiskey would be a better idea.

Good one Super Kirby!

I have 5 bottles hanging around right now, but U seldom get into any of them. Maybe once a month and then only about a shot to sip on.

Elijah Craig, for cooking
Buckhorn Reserve, after the cabin property's name....The Buckhorn
Knob Creek small batch
Four Roses small batch
Markers Mark private select

The Buckhorn is drinkable in small amounts. The last three are very smooth and are my favorites. The Elijah Craig goes into my cherry bar-b-que sauce and that is superb and as a cheap bourbon is not too bad if cold.

So to add to the original post question......how do you like to drink your whiskey/bourbon? On ice, straight up, mixed? When I enjoy a little bourbon I do so neat, not cold no ice or mixer.

Too many to choose from, but lately I almost always have a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 around. IMO, one of the best buys in a versatile Bourbon. I will very rarely spend more than $50 for a bottle ($25-30/bottle is much more common for me), but once in a while. . .

Last edited:
Go to is Makers 46
Really like Whistle Pig
Special night is Willet , Noah’s Mill

also have Woodford Double oak and Bernheim in my cabinet at all times

Last edited:
So to add to the original post question......how do you like to drink your whiskey/bourbon? On ice, straight up, mixed? When I enjoy a little bourbon I do so neat, not cold no ice or mixer.

Just depends what I'm drinking.

Woodford: On the rocks or neat.
Eagle Rare: On the rocks or neat.
Buffalo Trace: On the rocks or as an old fashion. I do like me an good old fashion.
Seagram's 7: 7 on 7. Make fun of me if you will, but it's cheap and I like it! :)

My wife likes Crown Peach in one of the Arnold Palmer tea drinks. I have to admit, it is pretty good.

Pendleton, Buff Trace( when you can find it) .
Funny this subject just turned up.
425EB204-B9B3-48F3-878B-E78FDD54AC88.jpegI just finished aging & filtering a bottle of shine. Tempered to 90 proof. Notes of butterscotch, vanilla and spice.
Aged on a combination of white and french oak.
About to finish filtering.
Smooth as a baby’s butt.

Pendleton, Buff Trace( when you can find it) .
Funny this subject just turned up.
View attachment 20353I just finished aging & filtering a bottle of shine. Tempered to 90 proof. Notes of butterscotch, vanilla and spice.
Aged on a combination of white and french oak.
About to finish filtering.
Smooth as a baby’s butt.

Outstanding! Very Nice!

Buffalo Trace is hard to find around here as well.

I like something called Old Tub and Two Stars lately. Old Tub is and unfiltered Bourbon from Clermont, KY and is 100 proof. Two Stars is from Louisville, KY but only 86 proof. That Yellowstone in the pic isn't bad either.
20220313_200819.jpg20220313_200739.jpg

I stick to beer, always get myself in trouble when " ol' granddad " is around. The wedding incident comes to mind...lol
Long story but, I was young, and no, you can't break out of handcuffs ..
Lol

When I was a young air traffic controller it was Old Grand Dad
As a more senior air traffic controller it became ChIves Regal.
I have Type II Diabetes (AgentOrange they say), high blood pressure and high cholesterol (42 years on the job).
Last year the quack said I had a fatty liver (duh) so I stopped all alcohol use.
I will be 77 this August.
If they ever use the “C” word when discussing my health, the meds are gone and there will not be another un-opened whiskey bottle anywhere near me…

Latest posts

Back