Whiskey?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who retrieves red oak from 125 year old barns that are being demolished.
Chard red oak chips soaked in 140 proof for about 8 months. Add water to desired proof.

Woodford is a go-to everyday, good straight, good for cocktails. Weller is delicious if I can ever find it and I have a bottle of Pappy Van WInkle that I'm holding onto till one of my kids ever gets married! But since they are 17 and 14, it may be...I am hoping it will be- a while.
For Scotch, both the missus and I would take Macallan as our "desert island" hooch. Or Glenfarclas 12.
If you can find it try Cardhu .. great mouthfeel and perfect balance between sweet and smoke. As an aside, it is the main or base scotch whisky in all the Johnny Walker Blends -- They all start with Cardhu - a single malt

For the money, Eagle Rare is really hard to beat. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Old Forester or Blantons yet. Old Elk is another one that's solid.
Blantons top notch but hard to find -- esp in the Great Lakes region. A NewBe worth a try is Blood Oath -- if you can find it Eagle Rare AND 4 Roses Small Batch

Glenmorangie 10 year scotch is smooth with a little fire. I am only willing to go up from there but no younger.

an unbreakable rule: Make sure the gun powder is safely put away and the gun empty before wiskey comes out.

Have tried the Isiah Craig single barrel and am not impressed. However, from the same distillery, Henry McKenna, a 10 year old bourbon that sells for around $20 for 1.75L. Have done comparison taste tests with Crown and tasters always have a hard time identifying the bourbon over the blended whiskey (crown). Wife won't drink anything else.

Have tried the Isiah Craig single barrel and am not impressed. However, from the same distillery, Henry McKenna, a 10 year old bourbon that sells for around $20 for 1.75L. Have done comparison taste tests with Crown and tasters always have a hard time identifying the bourbon over the blended whiskey (crown). Wife won't drink anything else.
Where are you getting Henry McKenna 10 year for that price? $65-$75 for 750ml here.

When I used to drink, it was 101 proof Wild Turkey, straight, in the evenings. Budweiser though throughout the day as long as I wasn't on the clock.
But that was a lifetime ago.

Where are you getting Henry McKenna 10 year for that price? $65-$75 for 750ml here.

He isn’t, the 10 yr single barrel doesn’t come in a 1.75, he is likely referring to the brown label sour mash that is commonly found for $20 for a handle. It isn’t bad for the price!

Eagle Rare is good stuff but it rare to find it in most stores.
We have two local distilleries that make some great products
Irish whiskey for me is Proper 12.BD4AD79B-D8AB-4848-8B68-0832B2F4AC04.jpegBD4AD79B-D8AB-4848-8B68-0832B2F4AC04.jpegCA15CAAB-8161-499F-B003-EEFD84DA99A6.jpeg

Can’t help you with a preferred beverage, but it did remind me…

Two robbers were robbing a liquor store when one robber grabs a bottle and asks the other robber "is this whiskey?"

The other says "yeah but not as whiskey as wobbing a bank".

hahaha

Not intending to change the thread, but I think maybe G may have solved the mystery of where Elmer Fudd went after the animal rights people chased him out of Elmer Fudd’s world. 😁

After doing some research, let me explain. I have been drinking H MC since 1975. Most of those years the bottle with gold label said aged 10 years. My current bottle does not say that. After research I see there is a green label that says aged 10 yrs...not the same label. Looking on their website I see they have dropped the 10 yr from the gold label and site says its aged at least 4. Honestly, I have not been able to tell the difference. Have tried Evan Williams and sorry, no contest.

Last edited:
After doing some research, let me explain. I have been drinking H MC since 1975. Most of those years the bottle with gold label said aged 10 years. My current bottle does not say that. After research I see there is a green label that says aged 10 yrs...not the same label. Looking on their website I see they have dropped the 10 yr from the gold label and site says its aged at least 4. Honestly, I have not been able to tell the difference. Have tried Evan Williams and sorry, no contest.
One of the blessings that come from age and those that respect it is that accounts such as yours begets a pass. I'm not an Evan Williams fan myself...in fact I don't much care for sour mash whiskey at all. I prefer wheated bourbons like 1792 or Makers Mark. Pallettes are fickle things...

Back