White G-Series Whitetail .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodgersbsw

Reaction score
Hi, so I have posted this on another forum and haven't gotten a lot of response to it. I have been told I lucked up by getting this rifle for the price I paid and that they are really good rifles. I really didn't know what I was buying I just knew that I didn't have a muzzleloader and if I wanted to make the most out of my deer season this year before my new son arrives I needed to get one.

I have searched around for info and not had a lot of luck. Apparently I have chosen a "more advance" route by jumping straight to a .45 muzzleloader. I don't have any paperwork on the gun so I don't know twist or anything like that. So if anybody has any info on the gun and what weight bullet and powder these like I'd really appreciate the help. As of now I bought the only pack of .45 powerbelt(175gr) and .44 ball ammo I could find at my local Acadmey Sports to see what I could do with it on Friday. Hopefully it'll be good enough for opening day of muzzleloader on Saturday. Any help is appreciated.

I wouldnt recommend either bullet you spoke of.
Last minute gun and last minute load is a tuff spot.
For a quick load i would recommend70 gr of blackpowder or pyrodex and a 460 gr no excuse bullet. Go online and you could next day this bullet to your door.
As you progress with rifle for next year there are many bullet combinations but take a little range work.

White 45s are a 1-20 twist.

These .451 460gr are a good place to start
http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/in ... age319.htm

BullShop also sells some nice conicals. Email Dan and tell him what you have. Put conical or bullet in the email header so it does not get lost in the spam filter. http://bullshop.weebly.com/-cast-bullet-prices.html

A few members here cast bullets also and you may like them better if they are willing to sell some.

70-80gr of real black, Pyrodex or Triple7 is a good place to start with big lead. Swiss and Olde Enysforde are two of the highest performing real black powders available.

You can shoot sabots too but most shoot conicals in the Whites. Hornady sells a 200gr SST in a tan sabot. T/C sells a similar bullet called a Shockwave. Precision Rifle sells some larger lead bullets in sabots too. They have 40cals as heavy as 260gr for 45cal sabot loads.

And bed that rifle soon after this season if not before or you will eventually wish you had. That thin recoil blade is a week spot, bedding makes the stock and barreled action function as one.

I agree with all above! The .451 is a great caliber especially in the Whites. I use 80gr T73Fg in my super 91 .451 with a 480gr Bullshop conical. You didn't give yourself much time, be careful, hopefully you have some experience with muzzleloaders.

Yep, i think you will find the 45cals are greatly appreciated here and you have one of the better 45s made.

Thanks for all the info, this is my first year hunting with a muzzleloader. I have shot one a few times, my dads old TC Thunderhawk. Another question I have is do I not have to use a sabot when using a conical? All I've used is some old Hornadys XTPs(?) in a sabot while target shooting. I know this was all last minute and that's really not the best thing when buying a gun and getting it ready to hunt with but it all kind of feel in my lap. Once again thanks for the responses. I look forward to using this gun a good bit.

No sabot with the conicals. They fit to the full bore size.

I use a unlubed felt wad between the powder and conical, some say you don't need this, but I have found better accuracy and it keeps the leading down in the bore. You will have to use loose powder also unless you have a 209 plug instead of the standard #11 cap. Just load the powder then the wad and push down with ramrod then load the conical an again with ramrod till snug and your ready to fire.

Feel free to ask any questions, that's how we all learned.

DSCN4592_zps00c3dcc8.jpg

This is my .451 White model 97. Mine has two locking lugs and the Laminate stock. Just a real nice rifle.

white451002-1.jpg

Mine likes the 460 grain No Excuses in .451 with a simple but effective powder charge. It groups them pretty good at 50 yards.

WV Hunter said:
Congrats on the purchase. Have you shot it yet?

Just at 25yrds for a function test. I took it hunting Saturday morning and evening to an trail that is really thick. I knew I wouldn't have much of a shot beyond that distance. Saw a lot of small/young does and a spike so I let them pass. Gonna try and get some better ammo in this week for it. That way I can try and hunt some of the more open areas of the farm.

rodgersbsw said:
WV Hunter said:
Congrats on the purchase. Have you shot it yet?

Just at 25yrds for a function test. I took it hunting Saturday morning and evening to an trail that is really thick. I knew I wouldn't have much of a shot beyond that distance. Saw a lot of small/young does and a spike so I let them pass. Gonna try and get some better ammo in this week for it. That way I can try and hunt some of the more open areas of the farm.
Any luck yet?

Latest posts

Back