White MLs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Kid

Reaction score
Couldnt get their site up, are they a custom shop? If so what kinda prices?

Their is way to much for ME to read in one Mourning, i must have missed something between morn excersizes and bike rideing, Where are the prices?

Doc posts some pricing usually towards the end of his description of the item. Doc also does not post price or will state POR price on request. If you dont see a price or want more information send him an email or give him a call. I have bought several items from Doc.

Not sure if you realize that Whites are no longer made (exept perhaps in very small amounts - someone here would know better). Sometimes Doc White will have one for sale on his site and apparently he does some custom work.

If you look around the site you can get a sense of what happened to the company. I don't know the whole story but I am sure someone here can give you a basic synopsis.

The short story is that Doc White and most of the associated people were more Engineers and Mechanics than financial people. They made a very unique and highly usable product that was higher quality and build than most of the competition at the time. The White muzzleloaders were the first to document long distance accuracy with very heavy conical bullets. The other main advantage is that the Whites can be reloaded and shot multiple times without a swab between shots and that is with traditional sub powders like Pyrodex or actual black powder. The "slip-fit" bullet and slightly over sized bore as well as the rifleing structure was revolutionary. I have a few of the Whites and they are definately special. Needless to say with heavy concentration on quality and material of build and less on the financial end, the business was sold and resold several times with each time causing little to change the rifle but poor address to the financial end. In addition I believe that there was at least one lawsuit or maybe more that Doc had to deal with as the competition noticed that they had a lot to deal with and figured running them out of business was the easiest way. (That last statement is probably more my opinion than fact that I can support). I worked for a large corporation for over 30 years so I know how some of that stuff is done. Some are available from time to time on auction sites or from individuals that have collected more than they can use. They tend to sell around the $300 range depending on condition and type of build. The White line has a very broad range of variation of build. I have a Super 91 that Doc built recently which has the earlier "Winchester style" safety which is not what was used on the Super 91 in later build.

I own three White Rifles. They are built like a battle tank, and shoot just about the same large round down range... :D My common conical bullet is 460-500 grains for both my .504 and my .451 caliber.

Whites are a simple rifle, but that is one of their strong points actually. Very little on them to mess up. That is why White owners are so proud of them. They just shoot and shoot and then you clean them.

All joking aside, I've shot over 25 rounds with never a swab to the bore. Just load and shoot as fast as you can.

white451003.jpg

How many inline rifles do you know of can shoot 25 rounds of triple seven 2f powder and do it with out swabbing the bore? Most people complain about crud rings. For some reason, my White does not seem to care.

White rifles do come up for sale from time to time. Normally for a good used one, you can expect to pay from $300.00 to $500.00. If it is a .451 they seem to really be in demand. And some of the other calibers are near impossible to find.

Ditto to what has been said so far. Most people who own White ML's have more than one and in most cases have 3 or more. I love going to the range and shooting them and seeing the faces on other people shooting their Ml's. After awhile they eventually come over and ask what kind of ML is that and don't you ever have to swab that thing and how come your rifle is so easy to load. I don't ever see you having to push down on the ramrod.

Oh and did I say I love my White ML's? :D

Thanks guys, i think i will keep my Eye open, what projectiles do you shoot out of them, like the 91 Super is .504, i kinda know but want confirmation.

I am shooting the Hornady 350gr FPB and the 460gr No excuses with good results.

Steve

Bullshop conicals shoot great as well. They can be sized to your desired diameter. I recently got a bunch of .504 460 grain bullshop conicals that shoot great out of my Whitetail.
________
Expert insurance

Sisco Kid said:
Thanks guys, i think i will keep my Eye open, what projectiles do you shoot out of them, like the 91 Super is .504, i kinda know but want confirmation.

515 Bullshop or Trashcan conical/80 gr. T72Fg/unlubed wad/RWS #11 cap :)

No muzzleloader bores are exact. There is no set standard that says.. .50 caliber rifles will be .500 in diameter. Some 50 calibers can range from .499 to .505.

Doc White discovered that the .504 bore was a good standard and produced his rifles to load slip fit. Slip fit means the conical bullets are not forced down the bore. Rather, you push it under the muzzle with your thumb and then sometimes the weight of the ramrod alone will almost set the conical. So his rifles run .504, .451, .410, and I think the .54 is a .540 diameter. When we order conical bullets for instance, I know my bore is .504 so I will order a .5045 diameter. This makes the bullet loose enough to slide down the bore and stay on the powder charge.

Now my Bison is listed a .504 but the bore is actually a .5035 because of a different barrel company made this barrel. So I order a .504 and they load perfect.

We shoot giant conical bullets.

white504007-1.jpg

white504009.jpg

And with the slip fit, we don't have to swab. We can shoot and they normally shoot like that group above. In fact I have stated that a White is a boring rifle to shoot. Every time I take it out, it shoots like that.

Sabotloader then came along and taught us that White Rifles shoot sabots just fine too. But he is the only one in the world that would put that plastic in a White... :D

Sisco Kid

I have a White model 97 - 504

And by far the best conical I shoot is the Bull Shop .5045-460 grain MT NEx

bullshopBullets.jpg

I can't wait to try some of those 488 grain in .451 that I just purchased. My little .451 should enjoy them. I will start the load at 60 grains and see what happens then.

This Website is Great, i cant tell you how much INFO i have written down, Pesonal journal for this web site ONLY. Thanks for all of yals help :D Sisco Kid, i will be looking for one.

Latest posts

Back