white mountain carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brotherlloyd

Reaction score
a buddy has an early ( no warning ) white mountain carbine he bought new many years ago. he wants $200. I usually dont give that much for a muzzleloader but i don't have one. i think it has a fast twist he shoots sabots. anyone know anything about this early rifle ?

I have one. If the bore is in good condition and the carbine is also in good overall condition, $200? what in the heck are you waiting for?

It's a great little carbine. Good balance, short, handy and can be quite accurate. I use mine when teaching muzzleloading with smaller students.

yes it been cared for just seem like alot. but since it my buddy i guess i'll pull the trigger. it will make a nice wall hanger just under my brown bess

Wall hanger?

SHOOT THAT BAD BOY!!!

The fast twist .50 caliber WMC's are in high demand. If you do not intend to shoot it, perhaps consider passing it along to a member here that will.

Good luck with your purchase.

$200, Where can I send a check ? All kidding aside I believe the WMC is one of those sleeper bargains. The first couple years the 50 Caliber had a 1:20 twist then TC changed it to 1:38 twist. Both twist are excellent for Sabot or Conical shooting with the 1:20 able to handle longer bullets. TC also made the WMC in 45 & 54 Caliber both of them had 1:48 twist and we have all seen video footage of Lewis shooting grease groove bullets, paper patch and round balls with a 54 with a 1:48 twist.

Do you know if this TC WMC Has a QLA Muzzle? If so, That would be a Deal Breaker if it were me, unless i could it for Scrap Metal Price

I bought a WMC online about a month ago and never considered it having QLA because I never seen one that had it. Well to my surprise it did and although it had a beautiful bore I never even shot it before reselling it just because of the QLA muzzle.

I've given that some thought but there is a little more involved. Shortening underlug, shortening ramrod, recut a dovetail for front sight, bluing affected areas. Even though they haven't made these barrels in years there is still enough of them around that I find it easier to buy one I want.

I've given that some thought but there is a little more involved. Shortening underlug, shortening ramrod, recut a dovetail for front sight, bluing affected areas. Even though they haven't made these barrels in years there is still enough of them around that I find it easier to buy one I want.

EXACTLY :lewis: On Top of What Saxton posted here, The WMC is already a Short little barrel as is. Personally, I wouldn’t want to lose another 1 inch or so of Barrel length on one of these Shorty’s

early ( no warning ) white mountain carbine no QLA

I would Grab that one! :lewis: I have never owned a WMC, But I do have a TC New Englander in .54 Cal, LOT of Similarities, Stock/Lock/Trigger Group

My complaints with my New Englander was the Single Non adjustable Trigger, The Pull was HORRIBLE at best. I ended up doing a Modification to the Tumbler/Hammer to lighten the Pull.
The other thing was the Odd “Beak” Shaped Tang piece that doesnt allow you to Remove the Lock, Unless you Remove the Tang (Stupid Design??) And since i have a Tang Mounted Peep sight, Having to Remove the Tang in order to Remove the Lock just wasn’t an option that i was gonna live with, So Out came the Hacksaw for another Modification :) I really like the Rifle now! Trigger pull in the 2-1/2 pound Range, and i can easily Remove the Lock WITHOUT removing the Tang

I see the White Mountain Carbine doesn’t have that “Beak” piece like the New Englander has

WMC, This looks Good :lewis:
HqLIkp0.jpg

Here is My New Englander, you can see the “Beak“ Thing I’m talking about, It‘s part of the Tang
CCObUev.jpg

And my Solution to the “Beak” :)
QuWs0UY.jpg

The Lock can now EASILY be Removed when needed WITHOUT removing the Tang. In my opinion, i think it looks better as well :lewis:
gUxt0Rk.jpg

I would Grab that one! :lewis: I have never owned a WMC, But I do have a TC New Englander in .54 Cal, LOT of Similarities, Stock/Lock/Trigger Group

My complaints with my New Englander was the Single Non adjustable Trigger, The Pull was HORRIBLE at best. I ended up doing a Modification to the Tumbler/Hammer to lighten the Pull.
The other thing was the Odd “Beak” Shaped Tang piece that doesnt allow you to Remove the Lock, Unless you Remove the Tang (Stupid Design??) And since i have a Tang Mounted Peep sight, Having to Remove the Tang in order to Remove the Lock just wasn’t an option that i was gonna live with, So Out came the Hacksaw for another Modification :) I really like the Rifle now! Trigger pull in the 2-1/2 pound Range, and i can easily Remove the Lock WITHOUT removing the Tang

Work the WMC over like Lewis has posted in previous threads for the lock, and that stupid decorative hook, and you have one hell of a short, light, handy, very versatile, .50 caliber hunting rifle.

Right around 6 pounds.

If you want to shoot really heavy bullets, install a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad that is 1.375" thick.

If you want to extend the range out to 200 yards, and ethically hunt; search out the T/C scope base adapter, and the left-offset Weaver/Picatinny scope base for the WMC. Install them, and mount a decent, lightweight scope like the Leupold, VX6-HD, 1-6×24mm that weighs about 11 oz., and has a illuminated FireDot Duplex reticle. Use lightweight aluminum 30mm rings for the scope, and with a lightweight sling/sling swivels, and you should have a sidelock percussion hunting rifle with 200 yard capability, and an all up weight under 7.5 pounds.

Less than the weight of a .50 caliber stock T/C Renegade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an early one. I'd NEVER sell it for a measly $200.00 . Easily worth twice that price. I'm partial to lightweight, handy rifles for hunting. Hard to beat the WMC while keeping with a somewhat "traditional" lines. On the flip side, if you're not enamored with the little rifle from the start, perhaps it's not for you....

Back