White Musket Breech Plugs

Discussion in 'DWB - White Muzzleloaders' started by edmehlig, Nov 6, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Nov 10, 2019 #21

Sideshow

Sideshow

Sideshow

Ed have you been sick ?? Wow , i hope its only a cold and no big deal . Hopeing it wont last long !!!
    Sideshow....

2. Dec 2, 2019 #22

doulos

doulos

doulos

I have a .451 model 98 that I ordered with a musket cap breech plug. It was not reliable busting those caps. Replaced the hammer and spring also trying to improve ignition to no avail. Found a no 11 breech plug that was slightly filed on and used it. No more misfires.

3. Dec 2, 2019 #23

dbowling

dbowling

dbowling

more then likely your nipple needed to be sanded down a bit to let the musket cap seat better on it. Did it fire on the 2nd try?

4. Dec 2, 2019 #24

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

i agree with dbowling above, I bet the Musket Cap wasn’t seated Firmly against the Nipple Post, in other words there was Cushion when the Hammer hit. I have had this Happen SEVERAL times with No. 11s, The 2nd time they Will go off, as the Cushion Was taken away from the 1st misfire. When i place a Cap on, i lower the Hammer gently on to the Cap and Give a Good Solid push Forward on the Hammer to Make SURE i get the Cap Seated FIRMLY on the Nipple Post. I have yet to have a Cap Not go off when i do this. Same applied with my Plunger inlines