White Thunder shotgun 2013 version

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Brace of nut eaters! Just needs some gravy and biscuits! :D

My mother refused to cook squirrel. She said they looked like a rat. I asked her when she saw a skinned rat, but she just shushed me off. Told me to take them to the neighbor. The neighbor was from Arkansas and was just tickled to get fresh squirrel. And she made a squirrel gravy (they invited me to eat) and put it over cooked rice with vegetables. After I ate it, I never could understand how anyone would give a squirrel away. They were wonderful!!

One afternoon a bunch of us guys were hunting gray and fox squirrels with .22 rifles. We'd shot quite a few. And so we made a fire and roasted them over the fire. Now that was some good eating too! Squirrels are good to eat.

That sure looks like a good meal. All I have where I live now are pine squirrels. They are tiny little red tree rats that destroy everything they can get into. And I tried eating them, but they taste like a pine tree. I mean if I were hungry, I could eat them, but they are not as good as the gray and fox squirrels.

I have not cared for squirrel since my grandma passed away when i was very young. She would pressure cook them first. The flour them and crisp them up in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease.

Those tasted good but ive never been able to get it right myself so i quit hunting them. Ive had them in a type of squirrel and dumplings, its ok but i would need to be hungry. :D

I put 2 squirrels in a pot of boiling water with vinegar or cheap wine for about 10-15 min. then take them out wash the pot an squirrels(vinegar or wine takes the wild taste out and helps remove any hair you missed during cleaning). I then put them back in boiling water with salt added till tender. Then take them roll them in flour or I also like seasoned chicken flour an fry in conola oil till browned. I was raised eating squirrel an will as long as I can hold a gun an shoot them... :yeah:

Just remembered this: when you clean them look under the forearms, there is a brownish colored scent gland there an you want to remove that gland for better tasting meat!! 8)

toytruck said:
I put 2 squirrels in a pot of boiling water with vinegar or cheap wine for about 10-15 min. then take them out wash the pot an squirrels(vinegar or wine takes the wild taste out and helps remove any hair you missed during cleaning). I then put them back in boiling water with salt added till tender. Then take them roll them in flour or I also like seasoned chicken flour an fry in conola oil till browned. I was raised eating squirrel an will as long as I can hold a gun an shoot them... :yeah:

Just remembered this: when you clean them look under the forearms, there is a brownish colored scent gland there an you want to remove that gland for better tasting meat!! 8)

Oh Boy just need some Smashed taters, gravy and Biscuits!! Who Wee! Just like Grandma used to make! :D :D

I put 4 Reds in a Crock pot last year with some white wine and a couple cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Let em cook low and slow. When done picked the meat off the bone and stirred in some BBQ sauce and put that on buns. Finger lickin good it was.

I have to wait till November to hunt them on Long Island and then only with shotgun. Been warming up the Anschutz at the range for a trip or 2 upstate though.

I love it. Normally we think of that shotgun for wild turkey but it is one of the more useful firearms out there. It is great to see it being used for other game.

:partyman:

I haven't had those tree rats in a long time. My wife used to stuff them with wild rice and bake them in the oven with taters, carrots, onions and peas. I'm lickin' my chops just thinking about them......... 8)

Ray.......... :wink:

Latest posts

Back