who is hunting with a sidelock this fall?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shguns

Reaction score
I found and purchased a really nice Knight Disc Extreme this past Feb/ March and it is a fine shooter now that I have figured it out some.
However I also picked up a Green Mountain .50 LRH 1:28 twist barrel for my TC Hawken .54 and have found it to shoot amazing with Swiss black at 80 grns and a crush rib surrounding a .452 Hornady 300 grn xtp mag. I also have a lyman peep for a rear sight on it.

So I'm really thinking of hunting with the sidelock when I get the chance! :D

How about you??

Since I hunt the modern and muzzleloading season with only muzzleloaders, I will be using side locks some time during the season. I do want to shoot a deer with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter flintlock.

I also want to try a little Traditions Woodsman Hawkins Flintlock I have. But if it hunt fields, then I will take one of my inlines, like the Genesis or Disc. If I hunt the swamps then it will be with my White Inline.

Just depends on what part of my woods I am hunting.

If i score with my White ML during PA's early ML season, then I plan on using my Flintlock 50cal Lyman Deerstalker. Unfortunately, its been so long that I shot it, I need to see what she likes.

Plan to hunt early season with sidelock and Regulargun with in-line then lateseason with sidelock.

Investarms Hawken for me. Probably go with a .50, instead of the .54. I have a scoped .50 carbine that will probably go with me first, then a scoped Cabela's Sporterized Hawken rifle, then the peep sighted .50 Sporterized Hawken rifle. Might take the .54 out for old times sake.

Well it's not a sidelock, but is a .54 round ball barrel that uses #11 caps on a striker fired under-barrel drum & nipple.

B2.jpg

I'll be hunting with it until I take a deer with it. Then I'll switch to a .54 Great Plains flintlock or one of my Renegade caplocks. Like Cayugad, I pretty much use muzzle loaders throughout the season.

I'm hunting up on an oak ridge this year with an 80 yd shot max. I really want to take a deer with a prb. I'm using a T/C Hawken with 75 gr of Swiss 3f and a .490 swaged ball from Traditions. It's very accurate but in my load development I have yet to recover a patch intact. I don't know if my patches are too dry or thin but the experimenting sure is fun!

JStanley said:
I'm hunting up on an oak ridge this year with an 80 yd shot max. I really want to take a deer with a prb. I'm using a T/C Hawken with 75 gr of Swiss 3f and a .490 swaged ball from Traditions. It's very accurate but in my load development I have yet to recover a patch intact. I don't know if my patches are too dry or thin but the experimenting sure is fun!

JStanley, I know you're going to think I'm crazy. But try Liquid Wrench as a patch lube. Squirt some on a stack of patches. Massage it in with your fingers. Wrap the stack in a paper towel and squeeze the bundle so the towel absorbs as much LW as possible. The patches should feel almost dry.

This is from the gun pictured above.

SD-004.jpg

SD-005.jpg

SD-002a.jpg

LiquidWrenchPatchLube-1.jpg

Semi-

Do you apply liquid wrench just before shooting? Can they be kept fresh for longer term? How would you do this if you cut at the muzzle?

Thanks! Jackey

I don't cut at the muzzle. But I would think you could apply it to your roll of patch material and then squeeze it dry with a paper towel. I haven't kept them for longer than a month or so, but don't see how they could go bad.

Try it on a small roll and see how it goes. I'd be interested in hearing how it does for you.

I'm going to start the Virginia early MLer season with my .62 Jaeger flintlock if the weather cooperates. I may take my .58 flintlock English Sporting rifle along as a backup as I took a buck and longbeard with it last fall. If the weather is rainy, I may just use the Grey Hawk percussion .50.

Back