who makes or where can I find quality shooting sticks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My boy's muzzy is a bit too heavy for him to shoot off-hand. He wants to shoot from a kneeling or sitting position with shooting sticks to take most of the weight of the barrel

Are there a set of shooting sticks (bipod) that is well suited for muzzys or if not can you point me to a good solid quality set of shooting sticks

Thanks! Todd

Todd, I made my own shooting sticks. But I have seen shooting sticks on sale at Cabela's.

Most of the online stores carry bipods and sticks. I would look at getting bipods that attach to the front sling stud, and that fold up out of the way, that swivel (meaning you can lean the gun side to side to level it up), and is extendable. They come in various sizes. Sounds like the one that extends out from like 13" to 23" (or something like that) should work fine for him in sitting position.

I have a couple sets in different sizes, one is Harris, the other is NcStar. Both work fine and are very similar, other than the Harris is alot more expensive.

58GMB024jpg.jpg

those are my homemade shooting sticks. Take a piece of treated 2x4 and cut it to 48 inches (or what ever you like). Then drill 3/4 inch holes through the sides... all the way through the 4"s of it. I drilled every 2 inches until it was the height of a outside lawn chair. (since I am not going to sit on the ground) Now rip it down the center on a table saw. Sand the inside edges smooth. Get a bolt 3/4 inch by five inches with a large wing nut. You know what I mean, the nut with wings so they turn with your fingers. You can adjust the height of where you want the rest to be by simply changing the wing nut placement. If you're on an angle type slope, move on hole up or down to off set one leg. Also be sure to drill small holes in the bottom of the legs and tie a nylon cord through it the width you want the rest to open. This set I have with me when I am in a blind or in a tree stand. I sit in my tree stands. With practice it is very steady to shoot from.

I also made some smaller sets out of scrap lumber for sitting on the ground. Even one tiny set for prone position. You can line the inside edges with duct tape to help it cushion the rifle and not scratch the stock. In a stand I usually put a cloth in the V part of the shooting stick and then I can lay that over the flintlock part of the rifle or the breech of the rifle. It also cushions the rifle in there.

The cord on the bottom wraps around the legs and it makes a great walking stick for me. My friend on his pair, put a cord through the top and bottom holes and wears that like a rifle sling to carry his.

Those would be fine, but I'm trying to give more control for my 10yr old 70lbs son, so I'm looking for a solid quality made tripod for him. He can handle the round, but the weight of the rifle is too much for him so he needs maximum stabilization.

:applause: :applause:

BOG GEAR........I've got the tripod and the bi pod. Awesome stiks. You'll never have to buy another. :applause:

Ray.......... :yeah:

I use a primos bipod trigger stick, got it from midway couple years ago on sale $50, great stick, you can adjust it for uneven ground an sitting/standing positions. I still have a gander mountain bipod that the legs twist to adjust, its okay but not as easy or quick as the primos.

Back