Who swabs between shots with the Savage and who doesn't??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
Last week with my Savage, I ended up dry swabbing with both sides of a patch and got real good accuracy using N110/250 SST's and N110/245 Spitfires. Using Harvester short sabots and the 250 SST, I could load relatively easily after a dry swab of the barrel. When I switched to MMP HPH12's, I thought I was never going to get the bullet seated, same thing happened with the 245 Barnes Spitfires in their yellow sabot. With either of those, I thought I was going to blow a hernia before I got the bullet down. The Spitfires were especially good groupers, but hey, if I've got to torture myself to get them loaded, it ain't worth it! Just wondering if a wet swab of the barrel between shots would help the loading process or if this would not be a good idea with the Savage shooting smokeless. How many of you swab between shots and what do you use (dry patch or wet w/ solvent of some sort) and how many just load and shoot?

Dry swabbing produced no better accuracy for me at all. I would not spit patch either :) I would try some MMP HPH24 sabots, and the new formulation harvester sabots. They both should load very nice.

HMMMM. I have to be different :D . At the range I dry patch after every shot. Don't know if makes a difference or not and don't care. It's a routine I got into when I first got my Savage and I like to be consistent. A friend never dry patches at the range and it works for him.
In the field when I reload for a second shot I don't bother and it works for me. I suppose what I'm saying is do what every you like but be consistent.

I always run a "wonder lube" patch before loading bullet/sabot. I do this on a clean barrel also. This allows loading without breaking the ramrod or getting a hernia :) Loading a fouled barrel without the lubed patch is really difficult :!: :x :!:

charlie

I think what powder being used is a major factor. I've found AA-2015 and the VV powders to leave very little fouling and either nothing between shots or only a dry patch to be adequate. Others, depending on powder, foul at a much greater rate and whatever is needed to keep a consistently fouled barrel should be used. Overall I normally use a patch with 5-7 drops of Rem ML cleaner(no oil in this) once thru followed by a dry patch once thru. The barrel stays lightly fouled, yet consistent; and I can shoot many shots with the same fouling level. I've tested and 1 unswabbed shot following the above procedure hits appx the same place as the others. The velocity may be ever so slightly higher with the powders I use -5744/H-322 or VV-110/H-322. I do believe that this question doesn't have a "one size fits all" answer; rather, powder and amt used, temp/humidity level, bore smoothness, etc are factors on fouling build up rate. Just my 2 cents worth.

SW said:
I think what powder being used is a major factor. I've found AA-2015 and the VV powders to leave very little fouling and either nothing between shots or only a dry patch to be adequate. Others, depending on powder, foul at a much greater rate and whatever is needed to keep a consistently fouled barrel should be used. Overall I normally use a patch with 5-7 drops of Rem ML cleaner(no oil in this) once thru followed by a dry patch once thru. The barrel stays lightly fouled, yet consistent; and I can shoot many shots with the same fouling level. I've tested and 1 unswabbed shot following the above procedure hits appx the same place as the others. The velocity may be ever so slightly higher with the powders I use -5744/H-322 or VV-110/H-322. I do believe that this question doesn't have a "one size fits all" answer; rather, powder and amt used, temp/humidity level, bore smoothness, etc are factors on fouling build up rate. Just my 2 cents worth.

That's a very good point. The powders are all different.

Latest posts

Back