Why BH209 only in certain rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wk4036

Reaction score
Could somebody explain why this new powder only be used in certain rifles.

Two main reasons:

1) It takes a lot of fire to ignite it, therefore you have to use a 209 primer to get it to go off without a hangfire/ misfire.

2) You have to use a breech plug that is designed to deliver lots of fire to the powder to light it: For example, my Omega will ignite it reliably, but my Knight KRB won't

It is funny, because in the last few years many companies redesigned the breechplug to reduce the fire so that 777 wouldn't cause the dreaded crud ring, exactly the opposite of the type of breech needed to light the blackhorn reliably

Some breech plug designs do not allow suitable ignition with the powder. Also some of them suffer large amounts of blow back from the powder. I tried the BlackHorn in two different rifles. One was supposed to work, and one was not. Both worked, but the blow back in the not suitable model, caused very bad fowling. Also I had one hangfire with that plug. But overall it was a very good powder.

I wanted to try it in my A&H, it uses the TC 209 adapter already but if that won't work let me know.

wk4036 .. let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. There is a great bunch of people here.

As for your A&H Sabotloader shoots them and he has tried Black Horn Powder. Whether he has tried it in an A&H I can not say. My Black Diamond XR was NOT supposed to shoot it. But it did. I had one hangfire and it blew a lot of the breech plug grease and fowling back into the open breech. Also a small piece of 209 primer blew off the primer on one shot and hit me in the forehead hard enough to draw blood. Whether this would have happened with any other powder, who could say.

Dave,
Thanks for the welcome, and I am open to any and all opinions on this question.
Frank

wk4036

I have not tried BH in a 209 A&H. In fact I do not have my A&H's any longer - but there is not much doubt in my mind that you could shoot it successfully with the A&H 209 set up. There is a possibilty that you would push the primer back out of the nipple and possible re-cock the hammer.
The safety factor there would be to install a metal weather shroud on the bolt to replace the plastic one that A&H provides. The shroud would contain anything if it were to blow back.

I am on the road right now so i can not get to the pictures of the A&H with the shroud that i have. But if you are interested let me know. Might even have a couple in the shooting box i could send you.

Another help migh me a thread I started a couple of weeks back. I shot a Remington 700ml withe BH and it worked exceptionally well - it is much like a A&H. I even shoot a 300 grain bullet to creat as much push back through the nipple as i could. You can see the results in the thread. With the copper shield installed - I would shoot the Rem all day with BH. Both the Rem and the A&H do not fit the BH description of acceptable breech plugs...

I wll need to find the thread then I will post a location here...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=10004

mike

Back