Will be new to Muzzleloading....Need Advise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickinmd

Reaction score
The gun I will be getting will be the Cva Wolf. Searching the webs I found a stainless/camo wolf for 234.00. At the local shop I shouldered a optima and wolf. The optima........just didn't feel right. I know the sheets say half pound weight difference....felt like 5 pounds. The wolf felt like an extension of my arm. Going with cva for a few reasons.....price....and easy tear down...decent reviews here and else where. I curentley hunt with a xbow and my centerfire is a savage .270. The only knowledge I have on muzzleloading is what I have read. I have my sights on two scopes........for different reasons. I don't know if it will matter but I wear glasses. Money is an object lol....I need to make it go as far as possible. Here in maryland I could be hunting in anything from 10foot swamp shot to 150 yard field shot. If I ever need to shoot further......I'll stalk. We also have lots of marsh as well as woods. Currently from what I've read, I will probably stick to 100 on the loads. The first is the nikon inline xr 3-9x40. This scope has 5 inches of eye relief and due to wearing glasses is a major plus. Also 92% light transmission. I think I found this one for 155.00 vs the normal retail of 179.00. The other is the Nikon Shotgun Hunter. This appears to be discontinued as I couldn't find it on the Nikon site. It's 2-7x32 with 90% light transmission. But only 3.8 eye relief. May do better but this am found it on sale for 139.99....prob due to being discontinued. From the reviews.........both got excellent marks.......but even with the lower light trans ...lots said that dusk/dawn was very very good on the hunter for some reason. Never owned a 2-7x32....its said that they have excellent fov......for woods and where its thick. Sorry for wall of text guys. Money wise there really isn't a difference. It's that I'm on the fence with the eye relief I guess..........so glass wearers please chime in on this. Thanks for replies......surely I'll be pestering you guys in the future with more questions.

Those two scopes are basically the same except the BDCs are setup for different distances, 200vs300.

Parallax is also different 75yard vs 100yard. The XR inline series are also basically rebadged Nikon Omegas. All three variations of this scope have 5" of relief on the LOWEST magnification.

3x9x40 SlugHunter.... it does appear that the 2x7 is discontinued.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-P ... C-200.html

Inline XR series
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Niko ... index.page

Are you sure you dont mean the Nikon ProStaff 2x7x32 Shotgun Hunter? It has 3.8" of eye relief.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Niko ... C-200.html

I have the 2-7x32 Prostaff on my Ithaca M37 12 ga. and have never been hit by it. Even when shooting the stoutest of sabot slug loads. Another idea depending on how bad your eyes are, my dad wears glasses but shoot with out them. He focuses the eye piece to his eyes instead of wearing his glasses.

I hunt woods where shots are close. But I do have a few fields and would not hesitate using my Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm out to 150 yards. I was shooting 150 yards with a 4.5x32mm and had no problems at all hitting a paper plate once I learned the drop. 3.8 is a good eye relief and I wear glasses as well. Never got hit by it. My Omega has 5 inches of eye relief and it too is a great scope. The Omega is a 3-9x40mm. Both are great scopes.

The Wolf from all I read is a great rifle. I have an Optima with a stainless barrel and got it for $209.00 from a Farm and Fleet. Its been a great rifle.

Back