Will firing caps promote rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
If I fire three or four caps to dry out the breech before loading my powder, will they promote rust as black powder does?

Modern caps are non-corrosive, at least the caps made in US are. That being said, I feel you are wasting caps, I never fire more than one, but that's just me.

According to several articles read - modern percussion caps are non-corrosive per those that write about them?

Modern non-corrosive caps will not promote rust when fired.
Off hand I cannot think of any corrosive caps that are currently available on the market.
I never had a problem with rust caused by leaving a cap on my (loaded) cap and ball revolver for days or weeks at a time.

so can a warm barrel when you take it out. you cant live in a bubble with your gun. if moisture is a problem wipe it down and oil it? that is what I do.

In cold weather what are the best options for below freezing patch lube and what is used to swab a barrel between shots at a range that doesn't tighten up or freeze?

so can a warm barrel when you take it out.
I've never seen that problem; a cold barrel on a warm day, yes. That is why you should leave the guns outside in winter (on the porch or in the car if you fear it getting stolen). Only bring them in when you are done for the day and will dry and oil them.

~WH~~

I've never seen that problem; a cold barrel on a warm day, yes. That is why you should leave the guns outside in winter (on the porch or in the car if you fear it getting stolen). Only bring them in when you are done for the day and will dry and oil them.

~WH~~
I agree with you there, Winter Hawk. At deer camp, once I take my fire arm out of the cabin it doesn't come back in 'till its closing up time. That includes muzzleloaders and all others.

I agree with you there, Winter Hawk. At deer camp, once I take my fire arm out of the cabin it doesn't come back in 'till its closing up time. That includes muzzleloaders and all others.
That's what we always do at camp whether it be bow, muzzleloader or center-fire. Makes sense to keep the firearm at ambient hunting temperature for the day hunt.

Latest posts

Back