Williams FP Hawken v Lyman 57 SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideburn1

Reaction score
Good morning group! I would like to install a peep sight on my 54 Cal. rifle. I made some research and both sights posted on the title would fit ( with minor modifications). The price difference is not an issue, it's a one time purchase, I'm interested on your thoughts about the quality of those products and the accuracy.
Thank you very much.

Good morning group! I would like to install a peep sight on my 54 Cal. rifle. I made some research and both sights posted on the title would fit ( with minor modifications). The price difference is not an issue, it's a one time purchase, I'm interested on your thoughts about the quality of those products and the accuracy.
Thank you very much.

I have both sights. Well kind of. My Williams FP is on my knight mk85. The Lyman 57sml peep sights are on all my sidelock rifles.
For hunting I prefer the Lyman 57sml. It has a button that allows for very fast sight settings. The Williams with the Gib Lock screw is a solid set up but much slower getting it set to shoot. I mean a LOT slower.

Another thing I like about the Lyman 57sml is, I can take the sight off and carry it in my pocket in really rough areas hiking or riding horseback, or on ATV'S to protect the sight.

I have used both out to 300 yards.
Both will work. My Williams sights have shims under them to get that far without being at the top of the ladder. The Lyman 57sml will easily get there depending on the load. But I started using shims on my 57sml too.

Both are good sights. My preference is the Lyman.

I have the Williams FP Hawken as I did not like some of the play I saw in the Lyman. I originally had the TC peep site on it but due to lack of positive feeling adjustments it went back in the drawer. Yes, the Williams is slower to move but I really only change it if I am changing from PRB to Conicals or something else. Otherwise it stays put.

Back