Williams Peep Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the fiber optic pin from www.10-8performance.com and ordered the Green Fiber Optic Rod, .060"-5 rod. Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock. But at least you know what I ordered and worked for me.

I did a quick search and found you can get them from here. https://www.caspianarms.com/productdisplay/fiber-optic-green-060 What I did was cut them to size and used a Glue gun that heats up to heat/expand the ends so the pin does not fall out.

I’ve gone to using scope or peep on most of my long guns, I just can’t bring myself to putting one on my 1938 Stevens 410/22. I Mount on receiver and fiber optic front. High viz sights allow you to change the color on the front sight. I like the diameter of the TC front fiber optic. I believe marbles makes them in the smallest diameter. I do have Williams and skinner, I don’t recall if they have the same thread pitch for the apertures, I think Williams and Lyman interchange. One thing Williams sells is a wide aperture with a brass ring for low light looking forward to trying this soon. In the timber.

I purchased the fiber optic pin from www.10-8performance.com and ordered the Green Fiber Optic Rod, .060"-5 rod. Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock. But at least you know what I ordered and worked for me.

I did a quick search and found you can get them from here. https://www.caspianarms.com/productdisplay/fiber-optic-green-060 What I did was cut them to size and used a Glue gun that heats up to heat/expand the ends so the pin does not fall out.

You can actually use a Lighter on Fiber optics such as this to Slightly melt a “Ball” at each end, We do it all the time in Archery with Fiber Optic Pins, These Gun Sight Fiber optic Rods are the Same thing :lewis:

I’ve gone to using scope or peep on most of my long guns, I just can’t bring myself to putting one on my 1938 Stevens 410/22. I Mount on receiver and fiber optic front. High viz sights allow you to change the color on the front sight. I like the diameter of the TC front fiber optic. I believe marbles makes them in the smallest diameter. I do have Williams and skinner, I don’t recall if they have the same thread pitch for the apertures, I think Williams and Lyman interchange. One thing Williams sells is a wide aperture with a brass ring for low light looking forward to trying this soon. In the timber.
Ive got that brass ring aperture. Haven't tried it out.

That’s the rear aperture that I had on the year before and at dusk, a doe presented a shot at about 75yds at the edge of the field. As best as I could I could not find/see the front post. After that I switched to the green fiber optic sight. I was ok using that rear brass aperture during the day. But early morning or as dusk approached I removed it.

Last edited:
I decided on this one as I already have the Williams Sights on the rifle and this one will drop in on the rear sight ramp, or so I'm told.
That is the one I use. The ones I have to shim to get level. A bit of a perfectionist I suppose. I contacted Williams about it. But the haven’t heard any complaints........yet. Still a good sight.
One thing about peeps. If you have astigmatism like I do, then a peep is the ticket.

I FULLY Agree! I would be Lost without my Peep Sights, they are the KEY to my Target Shooting Success :lewis: Fact is, My eyesight is not very Good, My Peep sights help me see like i did when i was Younger. It is AMAZING how much difference it makes when we are Forced to look Through a Tiny Hole
Absofreakinlutely Lewis!
The peep sights on my new .40 Seneca is not the first set I've ever had on one of my guns. But it is the first set I've had on a ML & it's the first set I've had since my eyes really started gettin bad in my early 40's. I'm 57 now. The peep's were a big plus when briefly considering buyin it. For the exact same reason you stated. I learned that when I was in my 20's to mid 30's when I shot a lot, did not yet need glasses, & had 2 guns with peeps on them.
At this stage in life, if I can put a scope on it I will. ( shotguns & traditional sidelocks I would never ever want a scope on either ) it's gonna be peeps until I can't see well enough to shoot anymore. I did find a huge improvement in my shooting guns & playing pool ( I use to shoot pool competitively & hustle a bit ) that getting bifocal contacts instead of glasses were a huge help across the board. Shooting either while wearin glasses threw me & my vision all kinda off my game.
Kind regards

Last edited:
I decided on this one as I already have the Williams Sights on the rifle and this one will drop in on the rear sight ramp, or so I'm told.

I have this one on my .54 renegade.

I have the closer together rear sight mounting holes on my renegade, as opposed to some of the first TC's that had much wider spacing, and the sight was supposed to be a match...it didn't have the correct spacing however. I'd say it was around a whole 1/8" off or so...factory flaw or common spacing for them I can't say. I simply slotted one of the holes so I could still use both screws and have had no issues with it moving ( I did blue Loctite them).

My sight also came with a 3/8" dovetail red front sight, and it didn't fit as well. It would just start into the dovetail groove on my barrel but then simply would not slide over so I could center it even with some very serious smacks from a brass punch and hammer. I ended up filing it down quite a little bit before I could get it to slide all the way to where it was centered (a triangular file is your friend here). That sucker still isn't going to move, I can tell you that.

I like the ghost ring peep, I can quickly acquire it and my eye automatically centers the front sight in it well. If I was going to change anything it would be the front sight. I would do a green FO instead of red, and also make it a much smaller diameter. I've shot FO sights in archery for years now and I'd guess that the front sight FO is around a .029" diameter? Someone else mentioned a .060" diameter but I don't think mine is quite that big. It covers quite a bit of target at 100 yards though, so if you like to try to shoot small groups on paper along with hunting with it you're going to be disappointed. I personally would much prefer a .010" front FO sight, it would be much better at distance as well as being easier to shoot paper. My experience using .010" sights on my bow is they still show up fine in low light, even in the timber. I find that I can't see enough detail of the side of the animal in low light long before the sight quits glowing. It is amazing how little light there needs to be in the sky for a FO to still glow.

A FO sight can "halo" pretty bad in bright sun too. I will cover some of the exposed FO rod with small pieces of black tape that I've cut when going shooting in bright sunlight. Not on the top where it would mess with your sight picture but on the sides.

Everyone's eyesight is a bit different, but my advice would be to go with the Williams rear ghost ring sight but look for a front sight with a green FO and NO MORE than a .019" diameter if possible.

I have this one on my .54 renegade.

I have the closer together rear sight mounting holes on my renegade, as opposed to some of the first TC's that had much wider spacing, and the sight was supposed to be a match...it didn't have the correct spacing however. I'd say it was around a whole 1/8" off or so...factory flaw or common spacing for them I can't say. I simply slotted one of the holes so I could still use both screws and have had no issues with it moving ( I did blue Loctite them).

My sight also came with a 3/8" dovetail red front sight, and it didn't fit as well. It would just start into the dovetail groove on my barrel but then simply would not slide over so I could center it even with some very serious smacks from a brass punch and hammer. I ended up filing it down quite a little bit before I could get it to slide all the way to where it was centered (a triangular file is your friend here). That sucker still isn't going to move, I can tell you that.

I like the ghost ring peep, I can quickly acquire it and my eye automatically centers the front sight in it well. If I was going to change anything it would be the front sight. I would do a green FO instead of red, and also make it a much smaller diameter. I've shot FO sights in archery for years now and I'd guess that the front sight FO is around a .029" diameter? Someone else mentioned a .060" diameter but I don't think mine is quite that big. It covers quite a bit of target at 100 yards though, so if you like to try to shoot small groups on paper along with hunting with it you're going to be disappointed. I personally would much prefer a .010" front FO sight, it would be much better at distance as well as being easier to shoot paper. My experience using .010" sights on my bow is they still show up fine in low light, even in the timber. I find that I can't see enough detail of the side of the animal in low light long before the sight quits glowing. It is amazing how little light there needs to be in the sky for a FO to still glow.

A FO sight can "halo" pretty bad in bright sun too. I will cover some of the exposed FO rod with small pieces of black tape that I've cut when going shooting in bright sunlight. Not on the top where it would mess with your sight picture but on the sides.

Everyone's eyesight is a bit different, but my advice would be to go with the Williams rear ghost ring sight but look for a front sight with a green FO and NO MORE than a .019" diameter if possible.
Great post. Great info & insight. TY

I actually considered doing that. I was going to solder an old penny on to a rear sight and drill a tiny hole in it. Whatever size hole you want if you have the right bit.

I have a Flintlock that I put the peep where the Rear sight originally was, and I discover after using a tang peep sight, that I like the sight further away from my eye better as I can see through it and around it at the same time which really work nice for hunting, so I ordered a sight that I can use the peep on the existing base where the open sight was. Now if this all makes sense, even with the shorter radius between sites, it's nice to be able to see around it and thru the peep at the same time. Williams does make the sight I need in its entirety, but they are closed for a couple of weeks, and like most shooters, I just don't have that kind of time before I want to shoot again. Amazon has them.
Squint

Back