Winchester Blue 209 Length Variations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried many primers many years ago and came to the conclusion that the Win 209s shot just fine and we’re readily available.

I shim my Knight primer pockets for minimal to no blowback. A few days ago I shot a new flat and it was dirty as if I had no shims. after a lengthy cleaning session I decided to measure the 209s.

the length ranges from .295 to .301. The groups in the left are .295 and .296. The pile on the right is .299 and up.

Looks like sorting primers is going to be another task for the short term.

Attachments

• 34618E0A-97A5-4078-8B62-62FDF9E288E3.jpeg
    34618E0A-97A5-4078-8B62-62FDF9E288E3.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 5
Hey Jeff,

The older boxes of W209 used to be half full of primers 0.302" or longer. The newer boxes seem to be full of shorter primers. At least around here they are. Instead of fighting it, what we are doing is using Bestill plugs in the Omega(s), and the Knight. Sized the Bestill plugs for either CCI, or Federal 209A primers.

The newer Winchester primers are about the same as the CCI, or the Federal, but am not interested in using them. Winchester was relied upon for the longer than 0.302" primers, but they no longer are.

Adapt your breech plug to accept rubber o-rings and the primer length will no longer be an issue.

HERE is one way to adapt an Omega breech plug.

To make a CVA plug work, one may not need do anything. Just use o-ring 1 mm thick. One may need to use shorter primers such as the STS. One may be able to remove the o-ring from the firing pin bushing to gain some room for an o-ring; don't lose the firing pin spring.

No knowledge of the Knight. I use the O-Ring in the primer pocket on my CVA Accura V2 & MR to eliminate primer blowback which can foul the firing pin assembly. The fired primers are clean using this method.

c1rtnmth.jpg

Latest posts

Back