Winchester Primers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackleyfan1

Reaction score
Will  W209 primers work well in an Optima with a western BH 209 breech plug....or am I going to be better off with CCI 209M?
Thanks, Dave

Dave, they will work just fine. A bit harder to decarbon with the 1/8" drill bit as the w209 leaves a hard glass like crust behind in the breech plugs flash channel.

Thanks Jon it seems that the CCI209M are the more popular choice but I have around a 1000 of the W209 so i'll use these till I can pic up some 209M, have you seen any big accuracy differences between the two?

no difference in accuracy. I just dont like the harder fouling they leave in the flash channel.

ackleyfan, me too. Which calibers do have have?
I have a .257 Roberts Imp., 7x57 Imp., and a .338-06 Imp.  Love them all!

I use nothing but w209 in all my Knights, I also have all my Breech Plugs shimed so there is no blowby from the primer. All the flame goes straight to the powder.

patocazador said:
ackleyfan, me too. Which calibers do have have?
I have a .257 Roberts Imp., 7x57 Imp., and a .338-06 Imp.  Love them all!
I use to have a 280AI but these days I mostly use a 300WM, but there alot of fun playing around with ...but still use it as my user name!

A 300 Win Mag is not for the recoil sensitive either. At least not without a brake on it.

I use one of those because you can get ammo anywhere. 

I like the BC of the 6.5mm and 7mm bullets though. I will be adding one at some point.

I had a problem early on with 130 gr. .270 bullets not performing well. It turned me off .270 forever BUT I love the .280. Same thing really except for the 7mm bullet.

Jack O'Conner didn't know everything .. but he thought he did.

You had a 130gr Partition not perform? You used something else? Then you can't blame the caliber.

Factory loaded ammo with W/W 130 gr. bullets. I didn't reload back then.

Nosler Partitions will turn any caliber into a killing machine; I love them. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back