Cva optima blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jisonhood1023

Reaction score
I have a new cva optima. I think I am having some blow back issues. The firing pin bushing and breech plug area seem to have quite a bit of build up going on. Using federal 209 primers. When I put a primer in the breech plug should it pressure seat in the breech plug? I notice if I don’t fire a primer and open the barrel it didn’t seat at all and easily pulls out. Is this normal?

Just went through this with my new optima. The federal's were the worst offender between them and cheddite. I set the headspace so I was getting. 005 worth of crush on the primer. No more blowback with 100grV BH using the cheddite. Haven't tried the feds yet. Primers falls out when opening the breech with a little resistance when closing. Or you could try the o-rings. Big thanks again to all here who walked me through that.

Just went through this with my new optima. The federal's were the worst offender between them and cheddite. I set the headspace so I was getting. 005 worth of crush on the primer. No more blowback with 100grV BH using the cheddite. Haven't tried the feds yet. Primers falls out when opening the breech with a little resistance when closing. Or you could try the o-rings. Big thanks again to all here who walked me through that.
How do you set the headspace? Just back out on the bushing?

How do you set the headspace? Just back out on the bushing?
Yup. You'll need a micrometer or a caliper to measure the primer length(top to bottom) before installation and after closing the breech. Measure it again after closing the breech and see how much shorter it got. Some say .002 some say .007. So I went with .005 and I have no issues now. You'll only have to back it out a quarter turn give or take. Barely above flush. Mark it. Then you can loctite it in place.

Yup. You'll need a micrometer or a caliper to measure the primer length(top to bottom) before installation and after closing the breech. Measure it again after closing the breech and see how much shorter it got. Some say .002 some say .007. So I went with .005 and I have no issues now. You'll only have to back it out a quarter turn give or take. Barely above flush. Mark it. Then you can loctite it in place.
I messed around with the micrometer and measurements a little last night but wasn’t sure what the measurements would be. I will dive back into it later today. Could I measure the depth distance of the primer hole and the length of anew primer. Subtract the distance and unscrew the bushing
ok thanks! So more than likely when I do this with the bushing flush it isn’t crushing the primer down at all correct? The goal here is to back the bushing out just enough to get a .005ish crush on the primer when closed? Simple enough

Latest posts

Back