Wish me luck - Bedding a stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
I'm about to go try bedding a rifle stock for the first time. I've watched a bunch of videos and read all the instructions and all that good stuff. Still pretty nervous about it. I have the Brownells Acraglass Gel kit. We'll see what happens.
I'll try to take pictures while I'm doing it.

Good luck! :yeah:

I know its not super difficult, but like anything else...until you know that you know how to do it... there is a small fear factor. I have not done one either, been lucky enough that my guns have not "needed" it. I would love to learn how to do it, I think its certainly a good thing. Look forward to hearing how it goes :D

Alright, so I got started and spend extra time on prep. Ran out of time so it's not done yet but that's ok. I cleaned out the inside of the stock and started packing modeling clay in the ramrod channel and the recoil lug. Made a dam about halfway down the barrel and made sure their was space either side of the barrel. Then I got stuck.

What do I do with the trigger? I don't particularly want to pack it full of clay. I was thinking maybe fill the hole in with clay the bed around it? Otherwise I could wrap the trigger assembly in tape and coat it in release agent. What do you all suggest?

Remove the trigger you don't need it on the barrel when you bed just fell were the trigger goes with a rag and pack it good then us clay to top this spot off you don't bed the trigger spot in the stock.

SuperKirby said:
Alright, so I got started and spend extra time on prep. Ran out of time so it's not done yet but that's ok. I cleaned out the inside of the stock and started packing modeling clay in the ramrod channel and the recoil lug. Made a dam about halfway down the barrel and made sure their was space either side of the barrel. Then I got stuck.

What do I do with the trigger? I don't particularly want to pack it full of clay. I was thinking maybe fill the hole in with clay the bed around it? Otherwise I could wrap the trigger assembly in tape and coat it in release agent. What do you all suggest?
I remove the trigger and fill the holes with Clay, then fill the trigger cutout with clay too but leave it so that it will hold about 1/16" of bedding. When I pop it out of the stock after 24 hours. I use my dremel with a carbide bit to clean out the trigger slot.

This is the bit I like to use.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... ide-cutter

Take your time with the Prep work it will make all the difference in the finished job. Don't forget the release agent either!

I like to use Devcon Plastic Steel for Bedding but AcraGlass works good too.

On my Rem 700ML's, I remove the triggers and fill that area in the stock with plumbers putty (clay). A dremel type tool works good for cleaning that area up after the action is pulled back out after the bedding has set.

Attachments

• 807aec6a-93b9-44f8-8bae-fd833d4dcf40_zpsj3d8fxss.jpg
    807aec6a-93b9-44f8-8bae-fd833d4dcf40_zpsj3d8fxss.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 537
I have always kept the triggers in but taped around them and put release agent on the tape. It has worked for me but had concerns but more in removing the trigger and getting everything back correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll mess with it more after work but it sounds doable. I'll keep working at it slowly and not rush to get it done.

You will learn, you will get better. You are addicted and now you will have to feed the addiction even more! It'll be good and you will be proud. W

Messed with it more tonight. I'm almost ready to mix up the bedding compound and spread it in but still not happy with the trigger area. First I pulled the trigger and filled that in. When I put the barreled action in it seemed like there was a heck of a lot of space that wasn't filled that maybe should be. Pulled all the clay, reinstalled the trigger and taped and packed it with clay. Once I flipped that over it seemed like there's no way I was going to be able to bed around that without locking it in due to all the curves in the trigger assembly. Do I pick one and just figure I'm going to have to take a deemed to it when it's all done?

To provide some extra info, I picked up a used Knight synthetic thumbhole stock. It was supposed to be bed for a mountaineer and the guy swore up and down that he used that stock for 2 different mountaineers and a disc extreme and all shot great out of it. I was skeptical but the price was right so I figured why not. Turns out I could get my mountaineer to sit in it right for nothing. I ended up grinding all the bedding material out of it and figured I could re-bed the stock to my mountaineer. So that's what I'm working with if that helps anyone.

Be sure to use the release agent - a lot, even on the threads of the screw.
A little Acraglass goes father than you think - especially when things get squeezed together.

SuperKirby said:
Messed with it more tonight. I'm almost ready to mix up the bedding compound and spread it in but still not happy with the trigger area. First I pulled the trigger and filled that in. When I put the barreled action in it seemed like there was a heck of a lot of space that wasn't filled that maybe should be. Pulled all the clay, reinstalled the trigger and taped and packed it with clay. Once I flipped that over it seemed like there's no way I was going to be able to bed around that without locking it in due to all the curves in the trigger assembly. Do I pick one and just figure I'm going to have to take a deemed to it when it's all done?

To provide some extra info, I picked up a used Knight synthetic thumbhole stock. It was supposed to be bed for a mountaineer and the guy swore up and down that he used that stock for 2 different mountaineers and a disc extreme and all shot great out of it. I was skeptical but the price was right so I figured why not. Turns out I could get my mountaineer to sit in it right for nothing. I ended up grinding all the bedding material out of it and figured I could re-bed the stock to my mountaineer. So that's what I'm working with if that helps anyone.

I personally remove the triggers as I feel it is easier to bed for me, and not lock them in. I fill that cavity in the stock with clay but leave the clay about 1/16" below the bedding surface of the stock. Then Fill the slots and holes in the action and shave those flush with the action. The 1/16" space will let the bedding compound "Flow" under the action and leave a smooth clean bed. Once I pop the action out of the stock I just route around the trigger cavity with a dremel and carbide bit then dig out the clay. Most times I can just cut out a good area with an exacto knife to get the clay out and then route the trigger cavity to the edges with the dremel for a nice clean slot. If you have the Forked recoil lug be sure to fill it up too. I also use vinyl tape on the sides and Muzzle end of the recoil lugs to provide a slight gap between the lug and the bedding to help prevent locking or being too tight.

I also use clay to fill the Bolt handle cut out in the stock and action too.

Like 52bore stated Release agent is your friend be sure to coat everything especially the screws and holes.

My old Benchrest gunsmith also told me once he often used a chunk of nice tight cell thick foam to fill the trigger slots cavity in the stocks. I tried it once when I had some and it worked great.

So ultimately I'm going to have to spend some time with a dremel clearing out some holes? That's fine as long as I know that going into it. I guess I was thinking I was supposed to figure out how to make this happen and have it be pretty neat and clean without it. Good to know.

While you're at it, how do you bed the ramrod channel? I had seen reference to aluminum arrows but couldn't find one big enough for the rod to fit through. I tried to pack the channel with clay and then the forked recoil lug with clay so they met. I'm not sure if it's better to do this and figure as long as I use enough release agent I should be able to get it all out and clean it up as needed? Or is it better to leave the rod installed and build up around it with clay? I'm open to either, not convinced which one is better.

SuperKirby said:
So ultimately I'm going to have to spend some time with a dremel clearing out some holes? That's fine as long as I know that going into it. I guess I was thinking I was supposed to figure out how to make this happen and have it be pretty neat and clean without it. Good to know.

While you're at it, how do you bed the ramrod channel? I had seen reference to aluminum arrows but couldn't find one big enough for the rod to fit through. I tried to pack the channel with clay and then the forked recoil lug with clay so they met. I'm not sure if it's better to do this and figure as long as I use enough release agent I should be able to get it all out and clean it up as needed? Or is it better to leave the rod installed and build up around it with clay? I'm open to either, not convinced which one is better.

I have not used the arrow trick but if i had one i would try it.

I pack the rod channel with clay and then the inside of the forked recoil lug. I let the compound flow around them and just clean it up later. Don't think I ever heard of anyone having a perfectly clean bed that required no clean up. Would take a better smith than me. :wink: I also clean up the top edges of the stock and tape them too as some of the compound will flow up and out. As long as it is just a nice bead that comes out the top, I leave it sit till it started firming up like a thick putty and then slowly (don't want to scratch the action/barrel) take an exacto knife, or a sharpened up popsicle stick, and cut that off otherwise it can lock the barreled action in. Works better for me to do it just before it gets hard, but will be messy if you try to do it right away, plus some can settle back into the stock as it starts to cure.

Thanks a lot for the help. I think a lot of it is stuff I thought I knew but good to hear for sure how to do it. Last thing I want to end up with is a permanently barreled stock.

Last question I think, then I'll leave it alone until I can post pictures of results. I've seen some places recommend pulling it out after 3 to 4 hours (about the time you can cut the extra stuff away) and some that say not to pull it out for 24 hours. Which way is better for a ML?

SuperKirby said:
Thanks a lot for the help. I think a lot of it is stuff I thought I knew but good to hear for sure how to do it. Last thing I want to end up with is a permanently barreled stock.

Last question I think, then I'll leave it alone until I can post pictures of results. I've seen some places recommend pulling it out after 3 to 4 hours (about the time you can cut the extra stuff away) and some that say not to pull it out for 24 hours. Which way is better for a ML?
I personally let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure. I would be afraid of pulling the bedding away from the stock, especially in narrow or thin areas, as it is not fully cured. I do use Devcon but I would do it the same way with AcraGlass too.

Bedding in the forearm area I use "repurposed" fishing rods. I use a folding rod for hunting but like a lighter hunting gun so I use the "tupperware" stock. I bed the action up to the recoil lug and float the barrel. I "bed" some repurposed fishing rod material in the forearm and it stiffens right up and is plenty light. If you do the same with a repurposed section with enough diameter I'm sure the ramrod would go through it. I do have a preference for graphite rod sections. W

Go for it! I was scared the same way when I tried bedding the first time. Its all in the prep work. and its fine if you take your time and think it through. proper time with the wax (release agent) some tape and putty, and it comes out fine. Since My first try, Ive now built a few boats with epoxy and fiberglass. and I now have a whole different mindset. last few bed jobs Ive done, I got a whole lot more comfortable pushing boundaries. anything grease or wax works well for release. Its the typical, once you've done one, you understand how. And the fact that, your usually left with enough material to do a few more guns... I typically bed the action and recoil lug. and try to float the forearm.

It's officially glued together for the next 24 hours. And I'm real nervous. I used lots of release agent but it sure seems like a disaster waiting to happen. That's a normal feeling, right?

Latest posts

Back