Woe is me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
My flinter!

Got five shots off today out of 40 attempts. Used 2F main charge and 3F in pan! 4F be in tomorrow from Powder Inc! Pan powder was old can of Goex but in good shape. Before loading I inserted a toothpick in vent hole, loaded, put powder into pan after removing toothpick and cleaned frizzen plate with alcohol and also the flint and still no flash in the pan. I moved into the shade to observe whether or not was getting sparks from frizzen and one time could detect same!  Tried several different amounts in the pan and near vent and away from vent! Flint looked ok but I'm suspicious of two things; the flint and frizzen hardness! I have no problem holding on target. Had to fire up the torch and repair front sight as it was loose in dovetail block. Disappointed....but not whipped!! :affraid: :slaps:

Make and model of gun or lock?  Type of flint?  Pictures
Of lock mounted showing calf cock w frizzen closed, another cock down frizzen forward and frizzen closed at full cock. 
TC

25539723903_0b5fba43ca_z.jpg
Panvt by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

26071741261_2f4a7f1676_z.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

L&R Lock and Sharon barrel/50 cal. Not sure of this Flint but think it is Black English...?????

It would be better if the bottom of the pan were closer to the touch hole.
Also, you could try inverting your flint in the cock to have it strike more perpendicularly. That might give more sparks.
Neither will fix a soft frizzen though.

Try 3F as the main charge. I agree the touch hole is kind of high, but probably not the problem.

I agree with Muley, give 3F a try first, it should ignite easier than 2F.

BTW, Where did you get that barrel?

The touch hole liner is installed where the flats meet?  :scratch:  

What are you going to do when you have to replace it?

OSR said:
I agree with Muley, give 3F a try first, it should ignite easier than 2F.

BTW, Where did you get that barrel?

The touch hole liner is installed where the flats meet?  :scratch:  

What are you going to do when you have to replace it?
At the present rate of fire.....replacing the liner isn't a problem!! :slaps: The barrel came from a 'builder'!

From all the research I've done the flashhole height looks good.   In the pic with the lock showing "half cock" and frizzen closed I notice there's no space between the flint and frizzen.  Try moving the flint back 1/16" -1/8".  Of course, if you aren't seeing sparks, that's a problem in itself.

Thanks guys!

Yes...I've read that the striking edge of the flint when at half-cock should rest off the frizzen about 1/16" or so. The frizzen on this rifle is not going fully forward when trigger breaks and I'm wondering if the angle of the flint is such that it's striking the frizzen too low whereas if repositioned the flint would strike higher? I have some Black English flints maybe coming in today so I'll start with a new flint. I'll also receive some Goex 4F today.

I won't quit until I resolve this issue!

Your flint is hitting too low. Take it out of the jaws and turn it around so the bevel is down instead of up.
My first thought was that the frizzen wasn't hard enough but it looks okay. Rub your thumb over it. If you feel any LITTLE burs it is probably too soft. I had the problem with a Chambers lock, so it can happen to the best of them.

Also, if it were me I would not put a tooth pick in the touchhole while loading. After priming, push a touch hole pick through the vent and into the powder charge. It should go off with no noticeable delay 95% of the time.
If the frizzen is hard enough, and you have the flint installed correctly, that lock should throw enough sparks to take flash pictures with.

Thanks again fellows! I'll keep you posted! I think this flint is 'shot' and new ones will hopefully arrive tomorrow! And I will do away with the toothpick into the vent! :face:

If it still looks anything close to the one in the jaws it isn't even close to shot.
You can sharpen it by tapping gently along the edge with something like a small screwdriver or the back of a patch knife blade. Some folks can lower the cock and press down on the top edge of the flint with the heel of the frizzen, but I have never had any luck when I tried it myself. You should be able to use a flint until it gets too short from being sharpened.

You can also cut a hole in the leather in the center to gain a little more room. Al

Touch hole location is good in the "sunset" position but that nor the grind of powder in the pan will make up for the lock not sparking or not throwing sparks in the pan. Flint/frizzen angle looks off so turn the flint over.  Then knapp the edge. Bet that's the problem. There are many ways that work I use a small brass hammer, others use a diamond file, back of a knife, piece of antler, brass rod, even a nail.  At the range if a flint is a little long I don't worry about it as I'm priming and then shooting right away. The flint will wear thru Knapping or self Knapping soon enough. 

Summary:  sharp flint at the right angle. 
TC

Rick, what part of LA are u in, I found 3 Clear Lakes. Might can get u in touch w an experienced flint shooter there. 
TC

Standing Bear said:
Rick, what part of LA are u in, I found 3 Clear Lakes. Might can get u in touch w an experienced flint shooter there. 
TC
I'm 17 miles 120 degrees off the Monroe, La. Regional Airport! Five miles south of Start, La. on Hwy 133.

Thanks for your effort but I'm kinda like the Lonely Maytag Repairman here!

Don't know of a soul that shoots rocklocks in these parts!

Hey Sharpsman, did you get a chance to try your new flintlock with the new Black English flints?

Smokin' Joe said:
Hey Sharpsman, did you get a chance to try your new flintlock with the new Black English flints?
I ordered flints from October Country NINE DAYS AGO....and nothing yet! Think the Pony Express rider is having problems crossing the Rockies! I should have gone through TOTW!!

I'm somewhat :slaps: :Scucks:

I ordered a few things from them one time and it took forever.  I have a feeling their inventory is very small so they rely on other vendors to supply them.

Latest posts

Back