Wolverine with #11

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kates

Reaction score
Does anyone shoot a Wolverine with the #11 cap? If so what seems to work best in your gun. I have found a used Wolverine in great shape for $100. Is it worth the extra money to do a conversion to 209? Thanks

Kates.. I shoot a Knight Wolverine LK-II with the #11 ignition and I have never saw the need to convert to something else. If your rifle is an older model it probably has a 22 inch barrel like mine. So shooting large powder charges, while it can, it might not burn all the powder off. I keep my loads at 100 grains or less.

The load I normally shoot - 85 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder and use a 300 grain Hornady XTP in a crushed rib sabot. It also shoots Shockwaves real well, and Sabertooth conicals.

If you're concerned over the fact 85 grains might seem light.. its not. 85 grains of powder is plenty of power. If your not shooting past 150 yards, you will be fine on deer size game.

Because of the #11 ignition you can not shoot pellets or some of the modern powders like Black Horn 209. Not a real loss. Pellets are much more expensive and while Black Horn is a good powder, if you swab between shots, Pyrodex RS is half the price of Black Horn.

The Wolverine is a small light weight easy to handle and care for rifle. As for the $100.00 it better be in near new condition for that price. As this time of year, there are lots of brand rifles that for a few dollars more, you can get new...

Back