Woodman Arms?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I held one at Kittery trading post a couple of years ago. Good craftsmanship. Strange stock, and odd breach plug. The breech plug requires a special tool.

I think they changed the breech plug, it was originally some sort of proprietary drive thing but it’s been replaced by a hex. At least that’s what I gathered from the web site. I agree the stock looks a little weird. How did it feel?

It felt very narrow in the forearm and grip. The balance was weighted forward. Opening the break action was odd, but I could get uses to it. I live about 20 miles from Woodman Arms, the rifle never wowed me to go and visit and meet the group. It still looks like they use a weird/proprietary breech plug.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/product/bre ... zleloader/

If I'm going to spend 900.00 I will wait and ad a couple hundred and get a Knight Ultra Light or save a bit more and order a custom.
That gun does nothing for me looks like a hodge podge of ideas clumped together.

dbowling said:
If I'm going to spend 900.00 I will wait and ad a couple hundred and get a Knight Ultra Light or save a bit more and order a custom.
That gun does nothing for me looks like a hodge podge of ideas clumped together.

My sentiment exactly.

Cattledog said:
It felt very narrow in the forearm and grip. The balance was weighted forward. Opening the break action was odd, but I could get uses to it. I live about 20 miles from Woodman Arms, the rifle never wowed me to go and visit and meet the group. It still looks like they use a weird/proprietary breech plug.

I like the looks of the Breech plug, and wrench better than the rifle

I also prefer a break open action an Encore is a good one and you can get a Bergara 45 barrel or have one made or put one together yourself.

I wonder if they are using a McGowen barrel?...That is the only current 1-24 blank i can find excluding cut rifled barrels. 1-24 is a very uncommon twist in button rifled 45cal.

I would also like to see a video of a 175gr Redhot and 120grV of BH209 hitting 2550fps. I find that claim to be unlikely. It sounds like a replay of the old "Super 45" days.

I also have some concerns about the very short breach plug. 3/4" long in a 45cal is going to put considerable strain on a 209 primer. Although im not certain if that is just the flame channel length or the OAL of the plug. My NULA plug is very short but the 209 seats completely in the primer pocket and is totally supported. Tolerances are so tight that only CCIs fit in mine. It would be difficult to achieve a similar level of primer support with looser tolerances for multiple brands of primers.

ATM if i wanted a break action 45 (and i would like one), i would go with a Encore also and get the good MGM/Brux barrel from ASG or Hankins. Its $900ish but its a darn fine cut rifle barrel and drop in ready. Plus its designed to handle way more peak pressure and a greater selection of powders.

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/encore.html

Compatible with 209 or LRMP module system. 6 screw base included.
encore25lw.png

GM54-120 said:
I wonder if they are using a McGowen barrel?...That is the only current 1-24 blank i can find excluding cut rifled barrels. 1-24 is a very uncommon twist in .45.

There is a Randy Wakeman review out there that says they are indeed McGowen barrels.

Squeeze said:
I dont think that photo was the BP, it says wrench and socket. I think that's just an adapter to use a hex on its BP

Whatever it is? It’s a fine lookin setup compared to that Gun! :lol:

Squeeze said:
I dont think that photo was the BP, it says wrench and socket. I think that's just an adapter to use a hex on its BP

That was my point. You need an a breech plug adapter to hex. then the socket. The Breech plug is still a weird notched setup...

Buy an Ultralight in nitride.

Cattledog said:
Squeeze said:

That was my point. You need an a breech plug adapter to hex. then the socket. The Breech plug is still a weird notched setup...

Buy an Ultralight in nitride.

YES YES - I want one!

Cattledog said:

At 5 lbs total weight for the 50 cal, the receiver must be a lightweight aluminum alloy and maybe even some hollowing inside the buttstock . Not surprising that it would be front heavy.

sabinajiles said:
At 5 lbs total weight for the 50 cal, the receiver must be a lightweight aluminum alloy and maybe even some hollowing inside the buttstock . Not surprising that it would be front heavy.

I saw the weight too and my thoughts was its awful light for a .50 cal. Being front heavy may help with barrel whip during recoil but I'd be more concerned with the recoil period out of a 5 pound gun. Even scoped that thing will boot ya with a good hunting load.

5.5 lbs isn’t much different than a Pursuit XLT at 5.9, the recoil from the Pursuit XLT has never been objectionable to my teenage daughters.
I would never buy one of these Patriot rifles without handling one first, but I fully intend to do so the first chance I get. I’m not interested in bolt action or plunger style muzzleloaders.

Wakeman claims his weighed 5lbs 15oz

Indeed, my .50 caliber example of the Woodman Patriot weighs 5 lbs., 15 ounces unscoped and unloaded.

My NULA weighs less and even with stout loads its not that bad. Im sure those loads are much faster than the majority of smoker loads.

Happy to clarify...
Barrel blanks are made by Mcgowen. They are stainless and button rifled. They made buttons for our .45 and .50 cals. The 1-24 twist .45 has proven to be very accurate. We've got hundreds in the field with superior results. Also tested a 1-18 twist. It will offered in the .45 probably by the end of 2018.

The breech plug design was changed to a standard 12mm size. This allows any socket to be used, not our proprietary adapter. Around the end of 2018 these will be manufactured. Both are compatible so if you had an original breech, you can simple change it.

Cost, yes it is a little higher. We use 17-4 stainless in lots of the internal components, including the breech plug. I hate rust on anything, especially my muzzleloader. 17-4 is not affected by corrosive powder residue. This material is twice or more cost compared to 400 series stainless, which will rust.
We also do not manufacture a hollow plastic stock, only laminate and walnut. These cost 3 times more.

The .50 cal is slightly lighter than the .45 as the bore is the only difference. I am a deer hunter and tracking is my favorite method of hunting. Carrying 10 lbs all day, up and down mountains sucks. A gun that is light and fits well in your hand is best. If you put 2 fingers under the area you carry, this gun will balance there. I show this to hundreds of people at every show I go to. Hal Blood and Lanny Benoit, some of the greatest deer trackers like particular rifles favorable for quick shooting and carrying around all day. The Patriot was modeled for this and features a button style safety. Push it and shoot. I've never paid these guys a dime but you will see them hunting with it.

You will find top notch craftsmanship in our muzzleloaders, they don't go out the door unless they are flawless. I want my customers to be happy. Fired or not, I make it right or give a refund. Hasn't happened yet and I plan to keep it that way.

Back