Woodsman @ 100 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
This morning I decided it was time to get that Woodsman Hawken Flintlock out to 100 yards and with a thicker patch! I am glad I tried it because it took a previous 4 1/2" group and shrunk it down so greatly, I still can not wipe the smile off my face!
IMG_6913.jpg

First off here's the load info:

80gr Goex 2fg
Grafs 4fg for the pan
.490" Traditions round balls ( Came with the rifle)
.020" lubed with F -ARL

The new .020" patch loaded perfectly but I still decided to swab with No 77 muzzle magic and get all of the fouling out after each shot and let it cool down in the shade until the barrel was cool to the touch.
IMG_6919.jpg

While swabbing, I used a sloppy wet patch and used both sides. Just holding the rifle upside down to keep from soaking the breech.
IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

I used the MPP packer set up and with a new wood ramrod ( plastic ramrod would bend under this pressure) I seated each ball at aprox 75lbs.
IMG_6931.jpg

The first 3 shots are on the right side of the target. This is my first time using graf's 4fg in the pan and I did not like it at all. It was slow to ignite and as you can tell, group wasn't that great.

The 2 shots in the middle were with Goex 4fg pan powder! Now that's why I can not wipe the smile off my face! Ignition was almost instant and the recoil was firm on the arm.
IMG_6915.jpg

Cleaned, dried, cooled, loaded and 8 clicks up on my rear sight put my final shot closer to where I want to be.
target2.jpg

This target has been my savior as the big black circle and 3" orange bulls eye keeps the sights clear and easy to see. The target is over 17" diameter.
IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

Super flintlock. I have zero complaints about it. I haven't had one bit of trouble with her to date. It just keeps getting better and better as I shoot. I SHOULD have a bull elk tag this year and I plan on getting the percussion model of the Woodsman in .54cal for this hunt.
IMG_6942.jpg

:Red tup:

I'm not to much on flint locks but yours is pretty impressive. It's a good looker and it seems to like goex in the pan a little more.

Ray.............. :hats off:

Wish I could shoot open sights like that FG at 100 yards.  I'll have try your orange-on-black target color scheme.  Seems like that would be easy on the eyes.

Latest posts

Back