Working up new loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bompa

Reaction score
When you go to the range and you have 5 or 6 loads weighed up in various grains and different powders . How many shots do you take in any given group? Also do you try to get a good group before you make final adjustments to the scope? Useing 250 and 300 grain xtp bulletts Powders are 5744,imr 4759 v110 and v120...Thank you

Some might disagree but I believe that you can find reasonable accuracy with any of those bullet/powder combinations if you stick with it long enough. Problem is that we have a tendency to quickly try something different when accuracy just doesn't materialize in short order. That philosophy isn't a bad thing but it doesn't always call for a change in bullet or powder as much as it does finding just the right amount of powder that will propell your bullet swiftly and accurately.

If you can't find decent accuracy using 5744/250 XTP then you might check your shooting techniques or scope mounts. They both seem to be frustrating culprits to finding accuracy.......Doug

Don't depend on one powder to be the "one". I for one have never had any luck with 5744 but on the other side N110 is a real shooter for me with 250 gr SST/SW's. Also 4759 is a close runnerup. By the way this finding is not out of just one gun, I have owned four different Savages. In range shooting I shoot 3 shot groups with each WEIGHED load. Yes you get a group going before you make final adjustments for hunting.

I like to shot 5 shot groups with each weight. I don't bother to zero the scope until I've settled on a weight I'm going to use.

When you go to the range and you have 5 or 6 loads weighed up in various grains and different powders

If I had a new 10ML-II TODAY...here's what I would do...

1. Weigh out charges of 40gr and 42gr of N-110.

2. Weigh out charges of 42gr and 44gr of SR-4759.

3. Get some 250gr and 300gr SSTs OR XTPs.

4. Start with a clean breech plug and bring a spare.

5. First load out of the barrel..250gr bullet and 40gr N-110.

6. Allow barrel to cool.

7. Two shots may be enough. If two shots won't go into 1.5 inches or less, 3 shots certainly won't. If two shots are looking good, I'll fire a third.

8. Move to 42gr N-110/250gr bullet.

9. If either of the N-110/250gr loads shoot into 1.5 inches or less...basically I'm thru. BUT...shoot another group with the best grouping load to make SURE.. If NOT..move to SR-4759/300gr loads..

10. Zero scope. Now that you've found your LOAD..just zero your scope where you want it.

It's a process, change only one variable at a time

I first tried 42.5 grains of 5744 with a 250 gr XTP and a HPH-24. I got real good results. A .291 inch group cloverleafed @ 100 yards.

I started the process of experimentation. I went to VV N-110 with the MMP short black sabots (because I was out of HPH-24's) and was getting good groups with that load but, the sabot was WAY TOO TIGHT. I had problems getting it down the barrel.

I tried some of the TC shockwave 250 grain bonded SST's with the Yellow Superglide (they were recommended) with 42 to 44 grains of N-110 and they were all over the place.

I think that the sabot plays a great deal in getting a good group and maybe the most frequently over-looked piece of the pet-load puzzle.

The HPH-24's are the ones I have settled on. Any others I have tried are either too tight (MMP HPH-12's & short black's, the Knight High pressure) or too loose (Harvester Crushed Rib and the Yellow Superglides).

I have now weighed out 5744 from 42.5 up to 46 grains in half grain inc's. and will use the 250 XTP with the HPH-24 to dial it in even more. Once I get that done I will work with the same powder and sabot but will use the 250gr SST shockwave and trash the yellow superglide sabot (distance aspect here over 150 yards to 200).

Then I might go back to the VV N-110 and also try IMR-4759 and start the whole porocess over. It just takes some time and money to dial in the perfect load. I was lucky out of the gate with the 42.5/5744 and the 250 XTP w/ HPH-24 though and will always go back to that load if I can't find another.

dougedwards said:
Some might disagree but I believe that you can find reasonable accuracy with any of those bullet/powder combinations if you stick with it long enough. Problem is that we have a tendency to quickly try something different when accuracy just doesn't materialize in short order. That philosophy isn't a bad thing but it doesn't always call for a change in bullet or powder as much as it does finding just the right amount of powder that will propell your bullet swiftly and accurately.

.......Doug

I agree with Doug for the most part. Because I have dozens of rifles to shoot in a given period of time I have to pick a load fast. I can't take a rifle to the range every day of a week looking for a load or I'd be in the poor house by the second month.

I have three "pet" loads. 1. 42.5 grains Imr-4759 250 grain SST supplied sabot. 2. 68 grains of Reloader #7, 300 grain XTP, Harvester short black easy load sabot, CCIm primer. 3. A un-published powder at 75 grains 250 grain SST MMP HPH 24 CCIm primer.

If one of the above three loads won't work there is something wrong so I get to fixing it.

un-published powder? :shock: At 75 grains I bet it pushes a 250 pretty swiftly.......Doug

Back