would a lot of money be hard on your marriage?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
today something very different happened. when my closest friend and i were working out at a city gym just 12 miles from my house my cell phone rang. it was my wife and she said is ------their with you. i said yeas. she said you have to tell him his wifes ex husband just died and i just found out about it. so i said ok. their i told my friend and he almost fainted. he said roger, my life and my wifes life just changed. before she and him parted ways she took out a life insurance policy on him for over a million dollars and has paid every payment every month when it was due. my friend wanted her to stop paying on it but she wouldnt. sooooo i knew this would bring trouble between them. i just called and he answered and he said i cant talk because we are in the middle of the biggest fight of our marriage. she has some really losers of a couple of kids and they will bleed her dry and she may let them. im staying out of it but it wont be peaceful in that house for awhile or ever. what would it do to your marriage?this same thing happened to my sister and her husband. it didnt hurt their marriage at all. no stress at all. some days bring interesting thing to peoples lives.

My Sister in Law said my wife was marrying me for my money so by the time we got married I was broke. Gave it all away.

oneshot

I'm fairly well fixed financially but grew up poor in a one parent home. I started working when I was in grade school and learned to squeeze a nickel. 
Now that I'm retired I spend a lot less than I used to and I didn't spend much then. My wife shops at thrift stores and won't buy anything that's not on sale.

My kids, on the other hand, all have big screen TVs, i-phones, fancy cars, etc. but they are always broke. They never want to wait and save for a big-ticket item, just put it on the credit card.

My kids and their spouses fight all the time and my wife and I haven't had a real fight in over 15 years. 
So, money isn't the problem. Living within your means is.

im worried about my friend and his wife. they, and i knew it would be this way, have different ideas about what to do with that money.

Sounds as though he's trying to tell her what to do with the money.  Serious, bad mistake.  It's HER money, and if she wants to piss it away on worthless kids, that's her problem and has nothing to do with them as a couple.

My wife and her sisters inherited a bit when a parent died, and my wife asked me what "we" should do with her share.  I suggested that she spend it all on jelly beans and load them into a dump truck, then back it out onto a pier and dump the load in the water to see how big a splash it would make.  She got all huffy for a moment, saying I just wasn't taking it seriously, so she wouldn't ask me again.  "Perfect!" sezz I.  She started laughing and all was forgiven.  She made her own decisions about the money and had a few wrangles with her sisters. But I backed her every step of the way, never questioning her decisions, and made her really happy with me in the process.

Turns out she's a darned good money manager and still has the money, making it grow along the way. Meanwhile her sisters have frittered away every cent they got.  I'd be on the fritter list too, truth be known.  But now she's got lots of confidence in herself and her decisions and I've got a very happy wife.  Who could ask for more?  That's better than anything I could have bought with the money.

brownbear, you should teach a class on how to have a good marriage. i agree totally with you but it is hard to watch worthless kids suck their mother dry of something that could have brought ease to my friends and his wifes life. your right it is her money. well i will see him in about a hour when we go to the gym and i will then know what happened last night. again it did not hurt my sisters marriage. if you met her and my bother in law you would not know they have money. my brother in laws brother pissed away a million dollars in one year. how ever my bother in law did not give him one dime of his money to piss away.i knew that money would not bring peace to my friend and his wife. hope they can work it out.

my friend just called me and said he cant go to the gym with me because he hasnt slept all night. he said his wife has made up her mind to give all the money, 100 percent of it, to her worthless layabout kids. my friend and his wife scratch for money like all of us and some of it would help their retirement. i am  astounded that she would do that. her kids just lay on their asses, and suck people dry of every thing they can. i suspect this ended the marriage. sorry to hear it.

I inherited a bunch of money once. Went through a Church to give to the poor. Found later the Pastor had paid off the Church with it. After that me and him didn't have the same relations and gave me a sour taste about the Church as beliefs.

oneshot

Most big charities spend 35%-60% on advertising, salaries, and fancy desks etc. I never donate to them. I try to find someone locally who had something bad happen and give the donation to them. 
I don't trust organized religions. Some of them drink blue Kool-Aid.

A lot of money in my marriage would not hurt a thing aaaa'tall!

Im not married :rolling on flo

ive never ever chased money so at my age im getting along ok and dont regret it. if i have it i have it and if i dont i dont. i have a warm house and a good bed. my old toyota truck keeps on going and soon i will be spending a lot of the day out side in a good climate watering garden and flowers. lots of grass to mow. i may see my friend tomorrow. ill just listen and say nothing. its going to take a while for him to get over this bump.

I can hike in my mountains every day. I don't need any more than that.

My sig says it all for me.

the latest is she changed her mind and will pay off all they owe and be debt free. he can hardly talk from two days of fighting with her. she saw the light.

Wife's mom passed last year ,Left her some stock and share in a house . Wife cashed stock out and put money in safe . She bought us new recliners , She's tight with money too , I spend my earned money  in my machine shop ,got lots of nice tools, lathes , milling machine, chain saws,  capsand winch,  you know ole big boy toys ,Sometimes my shop will give me pocket fluff sometimes it costs that fluff,,

im glad my friends wife figured it out and wants to be debt free. she is the local post master and can retire now and they can live on her retirement if they are debt free. he does plumbing jobs when they come up and they come up alot. he has a fulling loaded dodge ram and he says its the only truck he will ever need.

My wife will be inheriting a good pile over the next 3 years, her money and she is an excellent manager, I am not. There won't be any fights about it and she will be financially independent of me so win all round.

Latest posts

Back