would a lot of money be hard on your marriage?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the foreman for a small farm equipment shop in Arvada Colorado in the late 60's, for extra money I would make the 4AM run to Purina Mills in Denver to get 2-3 tons of feed each day and be back in time to open up. 

A loading dock friend (Scotty) would always have a story about his new wife (been married a half dozen times - min.). He comes over to me at the loading desk and says "Buck, this new wife may not work out brother. Sent her to the store and she came back with 4 bottles of gin, 2 cases of beer and a dozen donuts". I'm just staring at him then he says "What the hell are we going to do with all those donuts". The desk clerk went nuts and I couldn't stop laughing like everyone that heard him, crazy times at Purina Mills.

BrownBear said:
Yup. Happy wife, happy life.
 I must say a lot to be said for my fly in fly out two week on two week off roster.  I get a whole two weeks of peace and quiet,    at work .

heelerau, you made me laugh but i agree with you and so do a lot of older men. im still laughing.

Ok I know a couple that is married mainly for money.

Their Son the other night went to a Club and found his Dad there dancing with another woman.

I said something to my wife. She told me the way it is they have to depend on each others income to pay the Bills, so they live this way. Just sad.

oneshot

strong eagle said:
when mama is happy everybody is happy, when mama is mad everybody is sad or hiding.

True I won $300 the other night, next day my wife had $290 extra dollars. We're both Happy.

oneshot

It would be nice, but not earth shaking.
My wife and I are comfortable with our financial situation because of her management of our retirement savings. There were some tight money times and that always causes strains in the relationship, but she held to her ways in setting aside money for the future. Thank goodness that I didn't take the roll of money manager. I don't like thinking about money, reading about money, or planning about money. If I have enough for birthday and holiday presents, hobbies (within limits) with a a few bucks left over, I am satisfied.
A load of money coming in would not change much. It would let us help out our son and daughter-in-law  more, maybe paying off their mortgage. It would allow us to buy a house and property up in the mountains as a retreat (with a shooting range behind the house and an enclosed run for our Greyhounds).
Ron

money is close to being in their pocket but they are still fighting about it.the one daughter who if she found out about it is hiding her own selfish secret that isnt a secret. she is going to get a large piece of good land. she doesnt want to share that at all but if she found out about the cash she would be after that also. its like watching a soap opera. true colors come out when money is involved.

strong eagle said:
money is close to being in their pocket but they are still fighting about it.the one daughter who if she found out about it is hiding her own selfish secret that isnt a secret. she is going to get a large piece of good land. she doesnt want to share that at all but if she found out about the cash she would be after that also. its like watching a soap opera. true colors come out when money is involved.
Always has, always will - good old true colors. My grandfather spent my inheritance, family owned a 1,500 acre farm near Penn State and a small town (homes and stores) all rented out. As Pap needed money he would sell one of these places, don't think he ever had a full time job if it meant physical labor, just spent the family inheritance. New truck and cars, whatever he liked.  Damn him, I missed out on that experience ....  :pale:  :scratch:

"As Pap needed money he would sell one of these places, don't think he ever had a full time job if it meant physical labor, just spent the family inheritance. New truck and cars, whatever he liked."

That would just delay the sales for 2 generations until you were able to.  ;)

I'm all for eliminating inheritances. If you made it, you get to spend it. Let the next generation do like you did and make their own way.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to do that. I grew up poor and never got out of the habit of not borrowing money and pinching a quarter. Therefore when I die my kids will inherit the farm, my old office building, and a couple of lots along with what money my wife doesn't spend  after I die. 

I'm sure it will ruin them since they borrow and spend like it's going out of style. They'll just blow it all in less than 10 years.

my fried told me recently, i envy your life style, i said hows that? he said, you keep it simple. hes right, i keep it as simple as i can. the money is almost in their pocket but they have borrowed heavy against it and spending that already. that is the last thing i would do if money came my way. their is a old western painting of meat is not meat until it is in the pot. dont spend something you have until you really have it. i and my friend are friends because he never tells me what to do and i do the same to him. half the time he is full blown nuts but he never sends it my way so we stay friends. he has worn every one else out in the county though. im the last guy. also he would never screw me if i sell him something. some one asked me in town yesterday, why do you drive that beat up old truck full of garbage. i said, first of all the seat finally fits my ass and second of all, who ever would want to get close to me or rob me when i look like a sandhills hermit coming to town. they said, you got a point. two good pickups were stolen in town a couple of days ago, nobody would ever want mine. runs good though.

Ok show how money is on a Marriage. Not a lot of money but last night I won $400. My wife walked up and took the money out of my hand. I told her give me $40 for the Church at least.

I was very mad about the way she did it and I told her. She give me the money back. Later I told her I didn't mind her having it but didn't like the way she did. I took $40 for the Church and $20 for me, give the rest to her I was happy.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
I was very mad about the way she did it and I told her..............

oneshot
How long did it take the crowd where you were to stop laughing ???   :cyclops:   :cheers:   :lol!:   That's the hardest part the next time you see your friends and they remind you of what she did.   :Hide:

Buck Conner said:
oneshot 1 said:
I was very mad about the way she did it and I told her..............

oneshot
How long did it take the crowd where you were to stop laughing ???   :cyclops:   :cheers:   :lol!:   That's the hardest part the next time you see your friends and they remind you of what she did.   :Hide:
I don't know I was focused on her. She should know by now. I gave away a bunch of money one time over 30 years ago because of her.

Her mom got mad at me there one time because she didn't win.

oneshot

Women just don't understand how guys work ...........   :x   :evil:   :roll:   :no:

It would help us immensely!  No problemo.  Yep, earn what you can and be satisfied.  I grew up poor and had nothing as a child.  But, I'm happy to say that I kept most of it.  :Questuon:

Ok unexpectantly finding out. This woman asked my wife if she could borrow $500? My wife said yea right! The woman said you don't know? What? Your Husband is wealthy.

I went to my wife right off I knew she knew I could buy any Boat I wanted. Ongoing Joke with us last couple months. She said a Boat would be a waste of money because I would only use it a couple times a year.

So now my wife knows. I'm still me. I told her I will be happy with a New Pair of Work Boots and couple pair of Bibs. She says can we have work done on the House? Yes go ahead. Crazy woman came up with more stuff than original but that is ok.

We shall see.

oneshot

I agree, boats and campers. huge waste of money unless you get them cheap lol.

FrontierGander said:
I agree, boats and campers. huge waste of money unless you get them cheap lol.
Yes we've considered Camper because mainly of Bed Bugs but we have our Tent and enjoy it unless it is way too Hot or Cold.

We had a couple of Campers and I sold them. We now have our House and a Cabin 75 miles away on a Major Lake actually it is by 3 Lakes plus around 100K acres of Public Hunting Land. Have considered buying Hunting property but with our age and my health decided against it. 

We have went on Hunting trips using our Tent and enjoyed it. We was thinking going into Bear Country and my wife is worried about using the Tent, I'm not sure if this is a Concern? 

oneshot

in black bear country maybe not so much, i would never ever tent in grizzly country, thart a whole different thing. as to my friend, they go 500,000 dollars and i havent seen him much since. they are rebuilding their homestead and payed off all their bills. maybe this winter he will start working out again. also my sister and brother inlaw is coming into a lot of cash. second time in their life. they live no better than i and you would never ever know it that they have money. i did find out from her that some of our relatives have been hitting them up for money. i got really mad when i found out about that.i told her to close the door on that **** and she said she is. i dont have much but i dont go begging. i never ever think about what other people have compaired t what i have. life is too short for that. if you see all the things in bloom at my place you would see what im into.

Latest posts

Back