Wounded Buck Gores, Kills Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An Arkansas muzzleloader deer hunter shot a buck from an elevated stand. He climbed down, left his muzzleloader at the stand and approached the buck. The buck attacked and gored the man who later died at the hospital.

"The deer, which was not fatally injured, got back up and attacked Anderson, who suffered several puncture wounds on his body."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...-shot-him/ar-AAJiNr4?li=BBnbfcL&OCID=AVRES000

Here's a similar first-hand story I'll share. Decades ago my hunting buddy and I were traditional bowhunting in PA. My friend arrowed a small buck and approached the downed animal. Apparently it wasn't ready to give-up, stood-up and lunged at him. One of the spikes caught his pants leg and skipped off his thigh. If it weren't for the loose fitting clothes he may have taken that spike directly in the leg. The spike punctured his pants on his inner thigh! (you can see where the pants were patched-up and ready for the next hunt)
45IHm4D.jpg

With the antler still caught in his pants he was forced to wrestle with the deer on the ground. He pulled out his hip knife and finished the deer by slitting its throat. (That's me on the left and my buddy on the right)
gae6rOX.jpg

He also mounted the antlers.
GlOHc2J.jpg

Was he lucky or not?!!

Pennsylvania and New York state are famous for hunters getting gored every few years. The DOW departments stated "with the number of hunters permitted each year (many first timers to the sport) take chances that the average hunter wouldn't consider." Common sense and care always need to be used around anything wounded.

Latest posts

Back