Wrong Packaging!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highoctane

Reaction score
The pic below is of 300 gr 45 cal XTP bulles. I was running low on XTP bullets so I went and bought another box. Was at the range today shooting my rifle and opened the box I bought, box on left.

If you will notice the packaging says 45 cal XTP bullets but if you will notice the bullets. The pic on the right is a 300 XTP Mag, one cannelure, the bullet on he left is a 300 gr XTP, two cannelures, the thing that is troublesome is both bullet boxes have the same product number. The boxes do not differentiate the Mag from the "non-Mag" bullet..

20190508_154726.jpg

Contact Horndy, they will want to know so they can recall.

Maybe they just changes to 1 cannelure? The XTP MAG has the jacket curled into the HP. Ogive shape is different too.
Yc4s0YL.jpg

52577-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Could be going to one cannelure!

I called Hornady and explained what I had. They told me the one cannelure was the mag and the two cannelure was the non mag. Already knew that tho!

They wanted to know if I wanted to exchange. Since I didnt have but 2-3 of the mags left I told Hornady that I was calling to let them know they had an issue with the bullets not being in the right packages!

They are both XTP.

The XTP Mag is as GM says with the jacket rolled into the hollow point.

Another identifier between the XTP and XTP Mag is the number of kerfs on the front of the bullet. The XTP has six, The XTP Mag only has four.

Both bullets in the first post are XTP bullets, even though one has two cannelures, and the other only has one.

Yesterday afternoon I had more time so I took a closer look at those bullets. I'm not sure why one has two cannelure and the other just one but after inspection they are both regular XTPs.

When talking with one of Hornadys bullet techs yesterday he said the bullet with one cannelure was a Mag but it definitely is not.

No matter the cause as to "why" I've shot all those one cannelure bullets up and moving on!

I've got the same thing going on. One box has one cannelure, the other has two. I'm puzzled as to why.

Im guessing its a quality control issue but 2 were probably done just to accommodate the different OAL requirements for different rounds. Even in 45LC you might be able to exceed the OAL in pistols like a Encore or if you are shooting 45LC in a 454 or 460S&W. Its probably a bit easier to reach +P performance without as much peak pressure using a longer OAL in some applications.

The Mag bullets are different in that they have a thicker jacket at the base.IMG_0020.JPG

Most people wont want to shoot the MAGs in a ML. They are fine if you keep impact speeds high but in the 300gr there really is no reason to use the MAGs. Now if you are shooting max loads and closer shots, yeah the mags might offer better penetration on large game. I have no doubt though a regular 300gr XTP will do all you need for deer.
45235%201-1500x850.jpg

I had the same thing happen. Called Hornady and was told they're going to single canneluer for the 300 grain XTP'S.
I have a box of old and new. The new one's don't have the rolled over jacket.

They are both XTP.

The XTP Mag is as GM says with the jacket rolled into the hollow point.

Another identifier between the XTP and XTP Mag is the number of kerfs on the front of the bullet. The XTP has six, The XTP Mag only has four.

Both bullets in the first post are XTP bullets, even though one has two cannelures, and the other only has one.

"Serrations" on the front of the bullet ogive is the word I was looking for earlier.

"CONTROLLED EXPANSION
Precise serrations divide the XTP® into symmetrical sections, strategically weakening the jacket and initiating controlled expansion even at low velocities."

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/handgun/45-cal-452-300-gr-xtp#!/

Shot my first deer with the single cannilure 300 grn xtp. Neck shot 50 yards. 2000 fps from a Savage 10 ml2. Surprised to find the bullet lodgedIMG_20211122_163313.jpg under the hide opposite side of the neck. I've only ever recovered this bullet once. That was a hard quartering shot. Went through front should and lodged in the opposite hind quarter. That was six years ago with the old design. Perfect mushroom. I've shot many deer since then. All angles. No recoveries. This one was a surprise. It lost 70 grains and suffered major deformation. Wondering if the new design had anything to do with this performance. I know there's a lot of factors. I'm still gonna use it because I love this bullet. Just thought I'd share.

Looks like it might have hit some heavy bone? Last season, I recovered my first Barnes XPB. Typically, they've blown clean thru everything I've shot but found it lodge under the off side hide after it had destroyed/smashed the forward shoulder. It was only about a 40 yard shot but angling towards me more than I anticipated and got into that heavy shoulder bone. Blowing thru that shoulder just took so much energy out of it. Expansion and overall damage were impressive even without an exit wound.

It took out the spine through the neck. Blew through at least 1 vertabrea. In all fairness it was a very large deer. 206 lbs dressed. Probably 275 on the hoof. The damage was impressive as always. I just can't help but wonder if the extra cannilure would have helped the bullet retain a little more form. Like I said, no plans to change this load. It's cheap, accurate, very effective and it's put a lot of meat in my freezer.

Latest posts

Back