WX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXN

Reaction score
Anyone else hunting this weekend? It's our blackpowder opener on Saturday in VA, and we can only hope the forecast holds... already personally seen bucks tending does while out bowhunting, and the latter half of this weekend into early next week could be pretty close to ideal.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.17.30 PM.png

Plan on going also but may not get to hunt until the afternoon. Will be off and hunting the two weeks. Hoping to get something. I usually pass up the small ones and does waiting on the big boy and then see nothing! For me though its about being with friends of 50 plus years more than the harvest. Good luck to you!

Nice, that's what it's all about! Looks likely you'll get some good windows within that timeframe. Now we just gotta see if things shape up in time to hunt the big boys on opening day, or if it's better to spend the weekend doing brass prep and wait for that high pressure system to hit before sneaking into their living room...

I envy folks in states with early an muzzleloader season. In Indiana, it doesn't open until the first weekend in December.

Our archery season is in and I hope to be in the woods Saturday before daylight.

Plan on going also but may not get to hunt until the afternoon. Will be off and hunting the two weeks. Hoping to get something. I usually pass up the small ones and does waiting on the big boy and then see nothing! For me though its about being with friends of 50 plus years more than the harvest. Good luck to you!

What phalanx said!! I do it every year. Wait for the big boy and go begging latter in the season. Currently having back issues and will not be out for the opener Saturday in Powhatan Va.

Good luck to all.

30% chance of rain for my hunting area (Sussex and Dinwiddie) on Sat but it appears to be early evening. Temps during the day for the first week appear to be midish 60's with overnight lows high 40's to low 50's. Perfect weather for me. Will probably snow week 2, with my luck and cold weather gear at home!!!

N.E. Missouri's vehicle season is underway. Road kills on every highway getting very common. Good crop harvest has 'em moving everywhere. Rut about a two weeks away. Lots of public land available. The best time of year is upon us. Enjoy !

A friend of mine drove across Ohio on interstate 70 yesterday and saw 30 road killed deer.

30% chance of rain for my hunting area (Sussex and Dinwiddie) on Sat but it appears to be early evening. Temps during the day for the first week appear to be midish 60's with overnight lows high 40's to low 50's. Perfect weather for me. Will probably snow week 2, with my luck and cold weather gear at home!!!

Shot an eater doe this morning on some public west of Richmond with the bow. I was in an area I've been hunting since 2009, and I have almost never seen as much activity as I did this a.m., to include one studly 8 point grunting and seeking in almost broad daylight. Fingers super crossing right now but I think there's a very good chance of Saturday/ Sunday getting weird

Fantastic! Congratulations. Nothing wrong with a doe, especially with a bow. I didn't get to bow hunt at all this year. Knee surgery kept me out the first week and then I was going to go on the 9th but fell off a porch and smacked my forehead on a steel support bean the night before, woke up with my right eye swollen and closed. Concussion also. Eye back to normal now and really looking forward to going. Best weather for it in a long time.

Shot this 6 point on Saturday from a ground blind. Finally got set up at about 4:30PM and he came out about 5:20 coming towards me in a bean field. Shot at 60yds where the neck and chest meet. Dropped right there. Was using a Pursuit Ultra lite, nitride barrel with an older Traditions 275 gr bullet over 100grs of pyrodex. Smoke obscured everything!! FIrst day hunting this year.20211030_180346.jpg

Well, I was right about today's weather getting things moving. Saw a ton chasing, grunting etc until this guy gave me a broadside 45 yard shot. He went about 30 yards. Was shooting a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ over 82.5 grains BH209 that passed through the aorta.

I'm getting to the point where the mix of emotions you get when you walk up on one is dominated by an equal split of gratitude, elation and sadness. I don't know if 31 is too soon to be one of those old guys who "goes hunting" but never pulls the trigger on anything, but if I had the same experience as today without a tag getting punched I'd be just fine.

20211101_173147.jpg

Thanking the big man upstairs for this experience, this animal and the beautiful place he came from.

phalanx, OXN, congrats on the kills. Both dandy animals!

Latest posts

Back