X-150 - 300gr XTP Mag & ARX bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Really nice cloud covered day! I took the X-150 out, 100gr Alliant Black MZ, Hornady XTP Mag in Traditions EZ Load sabots, CCI 209M primers, damp swab between each shot.
100_3118.jpg

I did take one fouling shot which we will see on target. I aimed the bottom thick post and she impacted a couple inches to the right. Come to realize it now... All shots are to the right. Its sighted in currently for the 300gr Speer gold dots.

I wasn't to impressed with the 5 shot group, there's plenty of room for improvement, so next time, I will try less powder, 90gr Alliant Black MZ and see how that does.

100_3117.jpg

Then I decided to try those 180gr grain ARX bullets.. What a joke these things are! I tried them in 4 different rifles and nothing better  than a 8" group at 100 yards. They also load extremely tight. Once I got into the shop I cleaned the rifle, straightened up my shooting box and **** canned the rest of those ARX bullets I had. Truly one of the worse muzzleloading bullets I have ever loaded and attempted to shoot.
100_3210.jpg

100_3211.jpg

100_3212.jpg

I would take the ARX in a SD handgun but for anything else NO THANKS. Short and I mean SHORT range bullet.

With the 300 grain XTP bullets you're getting vertical stringing. Ditch the swabbing between shots.

With the 300 grain XTP my guns like at least 120 measured grains of Black MZ.

No surprise with that light ARX.  To me it would seem difficult to get a full bore bullet under 200 grains to stabilze well out of a .50 bore.

Next time out I can try without swabbing but I don't think that's going to help. The Nosler shoots fantastic if I swab between shots. Just need a little R&D for the 300 XTP.

Latest posts

Back