XS Power Rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
I have a question for all the other users of the XS power Rod. I really like using it, but I can't see how you can hang it in the thimble under the barrel while using a bullet pusher/aligner like the those used for the shockwave/SST or the MZ-expander. For this year, I decided to carry it in my backpack and actually removed the thimble from my Savage, but I am finding I'd prefer the simplicity of keeping the rod under the barrel attached to the rifle but don't see how the Power Rod and the above mentioned aligners would be compatible.

What do other XS Power Rod users do?

Deernut. I too have one of those and carry it in my pack and think I lost it this season. Likely on the ground around my blind. Will look in the spring when snow melts. I have another bulltet pusher that almost fits the SST I use and it's narrower and fits in the timble. Only problem is it make the rod longer and it sticks out past the end of the barrel by about an inch.

Deernut. I have a friend who ownes a machine shop. I designed a tip that is 3/8 OD. same as power rod. The tip is honed to accept Polymer tip bullets and works fine for me on Barns Originals and MZ. I wanted the tip to spin like prbullets supper jag so this was added. Love it, works great. Wish I could draw a picture here to show you, quite simple to make. Bob.

I chamfered out the brass end of my Power Rod to fit the SST/Shockwave profile bullets. After I did that, there's no need for a separate bullet pusher/aligner. It works good for me in my 10ML-II!

Mine came with a brass removable end perfect for SST style bullets. Also if you have ever ordered bullets from Precision Rifle they always come with a bullet pusher and I have used it too.

For MZ style bullets buy a powerbelt bullet starter. The long cone shaped tips work awesome with Barnes MZ bullets. Also, I just use the brass tip that comes with the powerrod for SST type bullets.

dwhunter said:
Mine came with a brass removable end perfect for SST style bullets. Also if you have ever ordered bullets from Precision Rifle they always come with a bullet pusher and I have used it too.

So have all of my Power Rods..five or six or so. ALL came with a brass tip PERFECT for seating SSTs/PTXs/Spitfires..ANY spitzer bullet. I keep it on the rod and it fits perfectly thru the thimble and seated where it's supposed to be with the tip installed..

Back