XTP .300 VERSUS GOLD DOT .300

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I am planning to use GD .300 grain bullets this year. Last year I had used .300 gr XTP's in front of 100gr 777 with my .50 Omega. Where I hunt in southwest Alabama, I am just a likely to see a hog as a deer. While on a deer hunt last year I shot a sow that dressed at 130# at a distance of 20 yards. I was in a tree stand. The XTP entered just below the right eye traversing the skull and ended up in the right shoulder, as she was facing me. She never moved!

Upon skinning her I found the XTP had completed inverted and the lead core had separated from the jacket. Therefore I plan on using the .300 gr Gold Dots this year. I have seen the pics from this forum and am very impressed with them.

IMG_1080_1.jpg

IMG_1082_2.jpg

xtp

you might want to try an xtp/mag Supposedly built stronger and hold together better. On a head shot like that I would think most bullets going threw all the bone would come apart except the bonded ones? JMO, nice hog!

Here's another picture of the entire bullet. (This is what happens when you try to post at 5am!

IMG_2028_1.jpg

Toolman

I have on occasion also found that you can strip an XTP - regular or mag version. It is all tied to the velocity the bullet is traveling and the type of target it hits. The faster the bullet is traveling and the harder it hits the greater the chance it could/might strip the the lead from the copper.

On the other hand the Gold Dot is bonded. When shot into a steel plate the bullet will be mostly destroyed and flattened the majority of the lead will be attached to the copper.

Here are some pictures that show/indicate what I am trying to say.

This first picture shows the 250 and 300 Gold Dot after recovery from my torture testing....

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

This picture shows the XTP's recovered from the same test.... Please also know that not all XTP's shot into this medium came apart but a few did.

GD-XTPComp.jpg

Also, I would like to suggest shooting a normal bullet into a wet clay dirt water bar is really asking a lot of a regular lead/copper bullet.

At what point does "she never moved" mean bullet failure.

Sounds like the desired results were achieved and the XTP's did the job.

I'm also sure the GD's will "make dead" in the same way.

Good luck.

Capt Gary said:
At what point does "she never moved" mean bullet failure.

Sounds like the desired results were achieved and the XTP's did the job.

I'm also sure the GD's will "make dead" in the same way.

Good luck.

Exactly. DRT does not sound like a failure to me....

Latest posts

Back