XTP Mags vs. XTP's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I have a box of 300 grain XTP mags. My question is will they shoot close enough to what the XTP's will to gauge whether or not my gun will like the plain XTP's ? I now know the mags are not very suitable for deer hunting, so I might as well kill some paper with them.

doegirl said:
I have a box of 300 grain XTP mags. My question is will they shoot close enough to what the XTP's will to gauge whether or not my gun will like the plain XTP's ? I now know the mags are not very suitable for deer hunting, so I might as well kill some paper with them.

It's hard to say how the two will compare without shooting them. With some rifles/loads they will shoot to exactly the same place while others will not. I also know some hunters who SWEAR by them for deer hunting. It wouldn't bother me to use an XTP Mag on whitetail provided it shot accurately.

How the XTP mags work depends on the velocity you shoot them at. They won't expand at lower velocity but if you're using a powder that pushes them at light speed they'll be good. How they compare to each other as far as POI goes, I don't know but would guess that they'd be close.

300 XTP & XTP mags

Doegirl-wish I could paint a rosey picture- my savage shoots xtp's great, @ 50 yards holes are overlapping. Same load with the mags are 3" - 4". I can only guess because the mags have a thicker wall, they don't oberturate (?) or expand into the rifling like the regular xtp's do. All guns are different, so all you can do is try them.

Back