XTP vs. Maxi?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
I have .400 200Gr. XPT Bullets and have some Full Bore Maxi Bullets not sure what Grain but the Rifle shoots both well.

I'm thinking the Maxi's will expand more and be better for Deer. But the XTP's look nice and I have killed Hogs with 180Gr.

Which do you Guys think will be better? I know both will work.

oneshot

I wouldn't hesitate at all oneshot 1 with that 200 grain XTP on deer.

I don't know about the Maxi expanding more. That XTP is made to expand in the 700-900 FPS range. You are going to be sending them faster in a rifle and they will be hitting at or above the stated velocity range upon impact depending on the range. So the XTP would be expanding to its full potential. Is the rifle a .50?  The .400 XTP will expand 1.5X diameter so .600.  What does the Maxi expand to?

Sparkitoff said:
I don't know about the Maxi expanding more. That XTP is made to expand in the 700-900 FPS range. You are going to be sending them faster in a rifle and they will be hitting at or above the stated velocity range upon impact depending on the range. So the XTP would be expanding to its full potential. Is the rifle a .50?  The .400 XTP will expand 1.5X diameter so .600.  What does the Maxi expand to?
The Rifle is a 45Cal. 1:28 Twist. I have plenty of XTP Bullets and Sabots. I have been using 80Gr. Pyrodex RS, the guy I got it from was using 2 50Gr. Pellets and Power Belts.

Had a Bausch & Lomb 4X32 Scope on it I put a 3X9X40 Nikon Inline Scope on it.

oneshot

To me, this comes down to accuracy.  I think the XTP will perform as well as the conical in a .45 with 80 grain loads.  The ROT will be a big factor towards the accuracy. If XTP's are accurate, and you said you have a bunch, I'd use them.

Sparkitoff said:
To me, this comes down to accuracy.  I think the XTP will perform as well as the conical in a .45 with 80 grain loads.  The ROT will be a big factor towards the accuracy. If XTP's are accurate, and you said you have a bunch, I'd use them.
Yelp I think I will. Got enough to probably do this life here.

oneshot

Either one would do the job. Use what shoots best and give it hell!

My only experience with Hornady XTPS is in Revolvers, they sure have been an impressive bullet for me in the Revolvers! .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum

Back