Maxi- hunter question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Quick question about the .50 cal maxi hunter. For deer hunting inside 100 yards. Is there a preferred bullet weight? My hawken shoots both 275 or 350 gainers equally well. Any issues with the 275 as far as penetration? I'm loading 85 to 90 grains of pyrodex rs. Thanks for any insight you can provide. DCL

Hi guys. Quick question about the .50 cal maxi hunter. For deer hunting inside 100 yards. Is there a preferred bullet weight? My hawken shoots both 275 or 350 gainers equally well. Any issues with the 275 as far as penetration? I'm loading 85 to 90 grains of pyrodex rs. Thanks for any insight you can provide. DCL
Thought that was vintage stuff ,no longer made . I have an unopened pak but save it for a novelty , what ever you have weight wise will work . Lead hardness dictates what happens within 100 yds along with position of critter hit and where it's hit . That's why I cast my own being able to know what BHN (hardness)I cast in which mold has a lot to do with your question .But yup if all the stars are in alignment either works well /Ed

I've used the 275's for many years. If I recall, maybe a dozen deer or so have fallen to them for me and I never recovered a bullet as they always passed through the animal. The 350's were too much of a shoulder thumper for my liking. Depending on which rifle, I used 80 to 100 grains of 2f black.
Last time I checked my inventory, I think there were about 200 bullets in my box. I still occasionally shoot a few up at the range but these days I'm more into lighter offerings like 240 grainers or simple round balls.

I have taken many deer with the 350gr maxi hunters with .54cal felt wad and 90gr pyrodex select powder Never had one go over 35-40yds after being hit.

Back