xtp's and "bang-flops"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
My current load is 300grain xtp's ontop of 44grains of 5744. I've always shot behind the shoulder until last year when I lost a buck to another hunter. This year I'll try the high shoulder shot. Does this load have what it takes to break heavy bone and and not fragment too badly?

doegirl that 300 grain xtp will absolutely penetrate both shoulders of a deer with 44 grains of 5744. The 300 grainer is a bone smasher. Yes you will lose a few pounds of meat but that is better than losing the whole deer. You should have an exit about the size of an old fashioned silver dollar.

Thanks Schoolmaster :D That's all I needed to hear to give me some more confidence in my load.

I know from experience that a .452 250 XTP HP will smash one shoulder go thru both lungs and stop just short of the other side. A .452 300 grain will go thru and thru most deer at almost any angle unles you hit two major bones.

Make certain that your XTPs are XTPs not XTP Mags(will have a 5 at the end of the bullet # if mag and 0 if not the mag version). The Mags are just too tough for whitetails IMO.

The "mags" won't group from my rifles. They shoot good from my .454 pistol.......hum go figure.

Doegirl, Thats all I shot for several years.Only 2 deer out of some 60 odd head of deer went any distance and that was due to poor shot placement on my part.The rest of them were boom flops.You will not have any trouble at all with this load.Good hunting to ya.......

Back