Ya never know what youll find

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this beauty at Dixon's today. For $1!
I've heard of these, but never saw one before. It's all there, and the manual is a nice bonus!
Not sure if I'll ever use it, but its a fine addition to my " Hunter Memorabilia " collection.
I'd love a trip back to the " Golden Age" of American deer hunting! Woolrich (red plaid) and woods filled with folk totin' leverguns, pumps and the occasional bolt action. Blued steel and walnut.
Sigh...

Attachments

• 20231210_180807.jpg
    20231210_180807.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
I’ve got a few of them stashed away, some were my dads some my uncles. Seems just about every Pa hunter back in the day used those.. Oh and have some of the Pa tuxedo coats and pants also.

My dad and I had some warmers that burned charcoal sticks coated with some kind of oxidizer. They had a peculiar odor too, and the sticks kept going out, but Dad thought they were a little safer than the Jone warmers. Wisconsin’s firearm deer season started the Saturday before Thanksgiving in those days, and I remember how hard it was to sit on a stand in minus 10 temps with a foot of snow on the ground. Any warmer was better than nothing.

I remember the charcoal sticks, I was always worried they would open while in shirt pocket, decided to double stretch a heavy rubber band around them. Totally bad idea..

My dad and I had some warmers that burned charcoal sticks coated with some kind of oxidizer. They had a peculiar odor too, and the sticks kept going out, but Dad thought they were a little safer than the Jone warmers. Wisconsin’s firearm deer season started the Saturday before Thanksgiving in those days, and I remember how hard it was to sit on a stand in minus 10 temps with a foot of snow on the ground. Any warmer was better than nothing.

They're no longer as common as they once were, but still available...

1702649528802.png

I still use mine, however a lot of the newer clothing (Goretex, etc.) doesn’t “breathe” enough to keep these lit.

Optimus made a hand warmer with a “throttle” that allowed you to adjust the temperature much better than the flannel sacks that came with the Jon-ey. I love mine.

I took the neighbor’s kids to the range one cool day, and broke out my hand warmer. One of the boys said “Oh, man, that’s OLD School!” To which I replied “Yes, I’m old school”.

Last edited:
Used those warmers back in the 80s when hunting with my Dad! Nothing like going deer hunting and smelling like lighter fluid! 🤣

Latest posts

Back