Yellow Superglide sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakal

Reaction score
I have been re-reading some of the posts about these sabots. What is the verdict on these? I plan on going to the range Friday with 30 rounds of the 250 gr SST spire points from T/C. I dont want to waste my time and powder if they are loose fitting. I have settled on the HPH-24's but again, these were recommended and on the other posts it sounds like it is about a 50-50 split on reviews. I want to use the bullets but will need to get the HPH-24's if these sabots are not tight enough.

I have a blued barrel and the 24's are not to bad to get down, the HPH 12's are just TOO tight. This is the second year I have owned this gun and have shot a .291 group using 42.5 grains 5744, .452 250 gr XTP, HPH-24 and a WIN 209 primer but understand that the 250 SST is a better bullet, so I need to put some range time in.

Any insight would be helpful.

If you are planning on shots less than 200 yards and keeping the 5744 powder, there is little reason to change from the XTP. XTP's are deadly and would be my choice with a group like you are getting.
I suspect the SST will not shoot as well with 5744 powder, but would with other's such as IMR4795 or VVN110.The SST shows ballistic superiority past 200 yards.

Another consideration is the XTP is considerably cheaper than the SST or Shockwave.

Jakal said:
the 250 SST is a better bullet, so I need to put some range time in.

Who said that? The 250SST has a better BC. But thats about it. I would take the XTP on Game over the SST for sure. The SST would only be better in long range shooting in my opinion. I mean like 175yds plus.

trying to work up two loads

one with the xtp and the 5744 for short range and n110 with the SST for long range. I hut both woods and bean fileds that are open out to 500 yards. Just trying to get two loads, thats all. Just wasn't sure about those yellow superglide sabots

I think there are better choices than the 250SST for longer range shooting. I haven't yet, but will very soon(out of deer and bear tags), give the 300g Hydra-con and 275 Ballistic Extreme serious long range work out of my and Rb's 45 Pac Nor barreled ML-2s. So far, with only 100 and 200 yd shooting done, there is only appx 2 1/2 " between 100 and 200 yds when 275 BE is shot @ 2400'/sec. The 200 SST is in the same range when shot @ 2637'/sec. The 275 BE shot w/o sabot in 45 Pac Nor accuracy is way sub MOA.

Latest posts

Back