You hear about dry balling. I just had dry lighting!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
Went shooting with a fine fellow on this site, BigAl52. When I returned home, I did a detailed cleaning of my Tom Watson made percussion mountain rifle.

To check the bore for any rust or residual crud, I put one of those brass bore lights you can buy from TOTW or other muzzle loader site. The bore was clean as can be, but the light would not come out!

I shook the rifle. I carefully tapped the barrel on a carpet on the floor. I tapped harder. The light was stuck down in the breech. After several attempts to loosen it without success, I brought out the big guns - the CO2 discharger. I use this unit to push dry balls out of the barrel.

Removed the nipple, stuck the tip of the CO2 unit in and squeezed the lever. The light blew out, flew across my work bench, bounced on the concrete floor and finally stopped in another room.

I have a super-mini flashlight that I sometimes use for a bore light. It has a smaller diameter than the brass borelight, so I thought it would not jam in the barrel. So much for that thought. It also jammed and stuck fast. Another job for the CO2 discharger. The range of the super-mini light was less than the brass unit. It only went half way across the room.

Thus, I had an incident of dry light.
Ron

Glad to got them both out. I never had that problem. I hold the rifle horizontally and place the light in the barrel and then tip the rifle just enough for the light to slide down.
Did you drop the light when the rifle was verticle ? That may have caused the problem.

This is a first for me, as well. I did slide it down at a shallow angle, but that was enough to jam it in. As per your suggestion, I may be a little more gentle next time.
Thanks,
Ron

What kind of groups are you gettin' with those illuminated projectiles.  :)

rowdyjoe,
They just don't seem to spiral and tumble after 10 yards. :D 
Ron

First dropping your loin cloth in public and now this .....  How long did it take for the wife and the dogs to stop laughting Mr. C ....  :roll:  Big Al is hoping you didn't shoot down one of your aircraft .... :affraid:

Shooting this flashlight isn't too bright. I can't give a glowing review for this device as a projectile.
Next time I will wrap some plastic around the light and turn it into a sabot round.
Ron

Ron, you can get these funny little tweezer and light combinations from fleabay for a couple of dollars, they unscrew from the tweezers and will go down a .45, they make great cheap bore lights and if you have to shoot one out no great financial loss. Last time I got about 6 of them, cheaper than the cost of replacing the batteries. 
  Ron looks like we all finish up knowing most of us on these forums, cheers to Buck !!
Cheers 

Heelerau

Hey RhinoDave, what color do you think is the best for a bore light?  Looks like there are five different  colors.  White???

Thanks,

I have tried the bobber lights and a cylinder inspection light from O'Reilly's.
For the bobber lights, I prefer yellow. The red and other dark colors just don't put out enough light.
The O'Reilly light, which they don't carry anymore, is too bright as is, so I put a piece of translucent, green or red plastic over it. It's quite a powerful light and local O'Reilly auto stores may have some left over.
Ron

Problem is that only the intended recipient of the tracer round can see the oncoming light. :shock:

Ron

Back