Young boy needs some help..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
A guy has asked me about some information and help, to help his "gun shy" boy and shooting a muzzleloader. The boys' about 10 or 12 and his dad wants to get him used to shooting a muzzleloader. However, he has a slight case of "gun shy" when it comes to recoil.

His question basically amounted to, "Will 50grs of loose powder provide enough energy to send a Barnes 250gr TMZ bullet to 50 yards, WORK PROPERLY and kill a whitetail?"

I do know that Barnes suggests that you need 1,100fps for the TMZ to fully expand and stabilize. I don't believe that 50grs of powder (not BH209) is going to get him to that velocity. However, someone here may have done some testing with lighter loads and have an answer to what the fps may be, using that specific load.

I've went through everything concerning helping with his "gun shy" but, the young boy also has a very mild case of autism. So we'll leave the "gun shy" info for another post.

I've suggested the Lead Sled, even starting him out with the lighter load. Personally, I'd like to see him work his way up to at least 65grs. One other suggestion I gave him, was to lower the bullet weight, thus reducing the felt recoil, buy trying a 240gr XTP bullet and the 50gr charge. I believe the XTP expands fully down to about 800fps.

So, for you guys that have expierimented with velocity and documented it, I'm really looking for some answers to help the guy out with his son. Any suggestions on this load?

I would think the Barnes 225gr .45 LC bullet would be great in a Harvester smooth sabot. It's a .451ish bullet with the big hollow point like a MZ. 50gr BH209 should be a very comfortable charge for him to shoot at the range. Add 20 more grains when he hunts as he will never feel the recoil anway.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ductId/537

l

I saw a Drury hunting show where one of their young daughters was hunting in Iowa. She used 50 grains of powder and a 250 grain shockwave to kill two deer. One was around 50 yards and one was 90-100 yards out.

Pure lead bullet will expand better a low velocity than a Barnes. I believe you can go down to a 200 grain 40 caliber bullet & sabot combination. With loose powder you can find a bullet powder combination that will kill a deer while not harming a recoil sensitive child.

Omega45 said:
I would think the Barnes 225gr .45 LC bullet would be great in a Harvester smooth sabot. It's a .451ish bullet with the big hollow point like a MZ. 50gr BH209 should be a very comfortable charge for him to shoot at the range. Add 20 more grains when he hunts as he will never feel the recoil anway.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ductId/537

+1

Crazy low recoil and incredibly easy expansion. Its made for 45LC speeds which are under 1000FPS at the muzzle. A near identical version is offered in 200gr also.

Round Ball and a patch would work better at lower velocities.

Try 50 Gr of FFG and round ball

STILL..... wondering why I'm not being notified by email when posters reply???? Had to check back to the post to see it all.... ????

Might check into the 225's for him.....

Its questionable.
A 250 gr Deep Curl will open better than any other I tried for starting load but we normally start the youngsters at 60 grains. an other favorite is the 50/40 200grain XTP which is an other good one for opening at lower speed.

Reciommend he try a SIMS recoil pad. They work great! There are ones for specific guns and there are also slip over pads, but they increase the length of the gun, and may not want that on a youngster.

He's been letting him handle it and pop a few primers for the last few days. Appears that he's getting all excited about shooting it. I believe dads' doing the right thing and taking it very slow with him and allows him to shoot the .22 on a daily basis. I think he'll be ok with the "guy shy" stuff, now just settling on a load for the youngster. I believe he's going to make it .

I loaded up my 451 White M97 with 50gr of Pryodex P and a 35-gr connical that felt like shooting a 223. My 10yr grandson handled it just fine. Oh an the ml velocity was 1100fps which will take care of any deer within 75 yds maybe more.

Latest posts

Back