Your scope opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dthomason said:
What is your honest opinion on a Redfield Revolution 2x7x33 on a 50 cal. Omega.

I do not own and I have not used the scope that you are asking about, but I think it would be a decent scope since Leupold is building it and it probably relates right along with their VX1 scopes which have served people really well.

Here are some reiviews from Bass Pro - go to near bottom of the page

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/1020797 ... eviews.htm

I have a Redfield 3-9 x40 on my Knight and love it.Clesr lenses and accuracy is amazing with the Leupold mounts.
Moose1

:D :)
I have a 4x12x50 on my V2 and I watch the flies land on the 100 yard targets. Wouldn't trade it for anything. :wink:

Ray......... 8)

dthomason, I think it is the perfect scope for whitetail deer. Way too many guys overpower with scopes. Your 2-7x set at 2x ables you to take a snap shot at a jumped buck and I've never had a problem making a 200+ yd shot at a deer sized target with it set on 7x. Everybody has their favorites but mine is a 2-7x. It's light as a straight 4x, but more versatile. I learned this lesson the hard way. I had a Bushnell 4x Banner that worked well. One day a buck apeared in front of me at 35yards and when I pulled up I couldn't tell which end of the deer I was looking at. All I saw was hair. When a 2-7x is set on 2x you can see the entire deer even at 15yds.

I like both of my Revolution 2x7x33s. Both are on rifles that can make substantial recoil. One has been used on a sled with many max BH209 loads with 300gr or larger bullets and it still shoots true.

There has been a few times i wish i had more magnification but there are many more times i wished i had used less magnification. I lost a deer two years ago because on its lowest setting i couldn't get her in view fast enough.

Now i nearly always carry a 2x7 and save the others for range fun or if i know the hunt will likely require more.

Very good scopes. My brother has the 4-12x40 on his savage .223 and has no problem shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards. Is it as clear as my VX3 at that distance...not even close, but for deer hunting ranges there perfect. Its on my short list of the new scope going on my Omega. And you gotta love the price!

I bought one of the new Redfield and recoil from my Triumph tore the insides up in less than 2 months. Considered a Bushnell a Leopold or a Nikon.

I was toying with the idea of using my Leupold VX3 3.5-10 CDS on a Knight DISC Extreme. But it may be overkill. :shock:

I was curious about how the Redfield stacked up against the other Leupold scopes.

So, I called up Leupold, and asked them how the Redfield compared to the VX-l. I was surprised when he said they are very comparable, except the Redfield had better glass. Closer to the VX-ll.

For what that's worth. There you go.

Ive found the new Redfield line to compare very favorably to the VXII also.

My observation though was only in the store which is much different than "in the field" lighting conditions. The Revolution series TO ME looked better than the VX-I and much closer to the VX-II in optical quality. Leupold actually makes a near twin to my 2x7x33. The specs are virtually identical.

I put a 4-12X40 Revolution on my KRB and have been shooting it all summer since early June and have not complaints. My current load is a 265 gr. bullet and 120 gr. BH209 almost fifty rounds through it and no loss of zero. I have even shot a couple loads of 110 gr. T7 3F behind a 325 gr. bullet and still no loss of zero. I love it and can't wait for deer season here in about three weeks.

Redfield as I understand is made by Leupold now. So that pretty much tells me they are good quality and have a great customer service. But I do not own one. I have looked through them at Wal Mart and the glass seems real good.

I owned a Redfield many years ago (20 or more) and it was a "Widefield" or "Wideview" model. I never hated a scope so much in my life. Granted it was nice and clear as long as you looked dead center though the middle of the scope, but move off that into the Wide field area.. and the optics went to nuts. I sent that back twice and they told me it was my vision that was causing it. Funny thing is, I went to trade the scope in on a Bushnell straight 4x40mm and the person who owned the gun store looked through it and said, the inside of that scope is off, but that's ok.. I can send it back to Redfield. I never told him it had went back twice.

I'm pretty sure Leupold isn't honoring the warranty on the original Redfield scopes.

I compared scopes when I was looking for a scope for my 22-250 about a year ago. I was looking at stuff that was higher powered but in the same line, I mostly looked at several in the nikon line, the redfield you are looking at the lower end leupolds and the burris fullfield 2. The two that were the best buys IMHO were the burris and the redfield. I ended up going with the burris because I felt it was a little sharper but they are more money also. I think the redfield will serve you very well (does redfield have a lifetime warranty?) and I think the 2-7 is about right for a muzzleloader.

I have the Refield SHotgun scope on my TC Omega and I love it. I don't think you could go wrong.

Latest posts

Back