Youth deer load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makinsmoke

Reaction score
Happy New Year folks.
I picked up a like new knight lk11 50 cal for my 11 year old for Christmas. I had the parts so I switched it over to fpj and 209 primers. Mostly cause I had/ have everything for that set up.
My buddy gave him a 1/2 box of 777 pellets and a pack of 295 great power belts. I don't like either and I'd like to stick with loose 777 and either a 300 gr .451 hornady or Speer DC ( have lots ).
He has been burning up the pellets ( 1 50 grain ) and the PBs ( cheap fun )
My ??? What would be a good deer hunting kid load for him to start with in his knight.
He uses a loaded down 120 grain 7/08 for gun season and has killed a number of deer with it.

80grains of loose t7 would still have plenty of energy with a 300grain xtp our to 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Steeheader323 said and if your sure your shots would be within 60 yds you could more then likely drop down to 65-70 gr and still get the job done but if he can handle 80 gr that's what Id use if gun is accurate with it.
Most LK`s and Wolverines shoot the 240/300 gr xtp very well, might try the mmp EZ sabots 1st and if it shoots good with those you will have a easy to load bullet also.

Steelheader323 said:
80grains of loose t7 would still have plenty of energy with a 300grain xtp our to 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and Baby and Baby Girl ( now 29) have been killing deer for 15 years with 40 grains of 3f T7 and a TC Cheap Shot ( 240 gr lead h.p. and its 40 gr volume) 1350 fps. Deer were shot from 15 feet to 125 yards. No complaints.
My regular deer load is considered light by some. A 250 grain 45 cal xtp and 70 gr of 3f Swiss black. 1600 fps. Accurate and polite. If you stay with the 300 grainers, go to the non magnum version. You'll get better expansion at lower velocities.
Good fortune to you both!

Best (mass produced) reduced recoil bullet ive tried yet is the Barnes 225gr XPB made for 45Colt. It expands beautifully over a wide range of speeds and retains its weight very well. All you need to do is buy some sabots for them.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/27684

Lehighs 230gr Controlled Fracture would be another excellent choice for lower recoil loads.
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 6101510216

You could try these sabots but they might be too loose in a old Knight.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/5481

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I have some time before the season here in PA. Lol. But for whatever reason he sure has taken to that little ML, and I'd like to get him set up and used to it. I think we've shot/ cleaned most ever day since Christmas. He has mom Saving every milk jug , and plastic soda bottle so he can fill them with water and " explode 'um ". The fact that he fills the yard with smoke is a bonus also I suppose...lol

The last thing i would consider for a low recoil youth load is those 300 grain bullets. Neither will reliably open when using light powder charges. In addition using 250 grain or less bullets will make less recoil. In my opinion, if seeking low recoil, don't use 300 grain bullets.

+2 on what Ron said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron,
You don't think the xtp`s in 300 gr non mag version would open at 60 yds with 60-70 gr of 777, Ive killed deer with 80 gr of pyrodex rs and the 300 gr non mag xtp at 80 yds(killed a double 2 years ago at that distance) and it put a .50 cent size exit hole on both deer a huge doe and a mid size one, turned their lungs to mush.

ronlaughlin said:
The last thing i would consider for a low recoil youth load is those 300 grain bullets. Neither will reliably open when using light powder charges. In addition using 250 grain or less bullets will make less recoil. In my opinion, if seeking low recoil, don't use 300 grain bullets.

I know my 10yr old grandson at the time used 50gr of 777-3F behind s 45 cal 300gr bullet. The foe hecdhot at 50ydsvfiedvwherevshecwas standing. Talk about a mild recoil! Yet it was going 1000 FPS at the muzzle .

Back