Youth hunt with my grandson

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
This is my grandson's 3rd year deer hunting as part of the Michigan mentor hunt program - he's 8 now. The LKII with a youth stock sits on a Feildpod waiting for a deer on the rainy morning yesterday. We've come close the first 2 seasons, maybe this will be our year. The iPad helps during those slow times . . .

3rd year at 8 already? WOW! here kids have to be 10 for a license. Theres different levels of licenses. I think from 10-14 a licensed adult must be right next to them, from 14-16 within eyesight or a certain distance, then from like 17 they can fly solo. good luck!

Looking forward to the success story, good luck to you :yeah:

My youngest daughter used the FieldPod last year to take her first deer, my heavy Apex sat in the Pod, they sure are nice for a youth hunter.

Glad to see you aren't against them new fancy electrical devices, I allow my kids to bring whatever they want to keep them occupied during the slow times, if they're happy and comfy, it sure makes for a good hunt (now my teenager just sleeps :bored: )

Awesome! My son killed his first at 8, but with a .243 not a ML. No iPad's back then :lol:

Good luck to you guys! Nothing better than being with a youngster when they get their first deer! :yeah:

Thats great! Good luck to both of you this year, hopefully he gets a nice one!

I picked him up Friday and we went out to eat before coming home. He drew this picture at the table of him shooting a big buck! He even has a little blood showing, I think the other two brown spots is refried beans, I laughed so hard.

Good luck to him. I hope he gets a nice big buck! Re-fried beans and all. There is nothing more rewarding then taking a young person hunting. The excitement they have, the eagerness to learn, the sparkle in their eyes. Something I guess I once had, and sorely miss now after hunting so many years. Its great to see the mentor program and other programs that get young people involved in outdoor activities that they can learn, and enjoy the rest of their life.

Be safe and shoot straight. The LK-II is a great rifle. I sure like mine.

tpcollins said:
This is my grandson's 3rd year deer hunting as part of the Michigan mentor hunt program - he's 8 now. The LKII with a youth stock sits on a Feildpod waiting for a deer on the rainy morning yesterday. We've come close the first 2 seasons, maybe this will be our year. The iPad helps during those slow times . . .

That is a 180 degrees opposite example of the manner in-which we hunt.
No assisted or man-made deer blind, overhead or open-air.
No locked-down gun in rest. No tripod stand to support things like an area viewing scope
No private land
No bait
No available phone reception in the areas of the Huron National Forest in-which we hunt.

Wow! I applaud parents teaching children this wonderful sport and inviting them into the process. But I question if this really is a definition of hunting, or is this assassination await?

There are about as many ways to hunt as there are people. As long as one hunts within the boundaries created by law there is no problem. I feel strongly that, (especially in these times), we ought to stick together as hunters and not criticize others' methods.
Art

TripleSe7en said:
No locked-down gun in rest. No tripod stand to support things like an area viewing scope
No private land
No bait
No available phone reception in the areas of the Huron National Forest in-which we hunt.

Wow! I applaud parents teaching children this wonderful sport and inviting them into the process. But I question if this really is a definition of hunting, or is this assassination await?

I guess I'll have to go with assassination then. He's hunted this way since he was 6 and is only 8 now. I'm not confident he can shot offhand at his age, when he can I'll let him hunt that way. Until then, I'll help my grandson harvest a deer with respect to the animal and as humanely as possible.

I'm sure there are macho men that insist their kids/grandsons shoot offhand with potential risks to poor shot placement and not being able to recover game. My grandson knows he's limited in distance and the deer must be still and broadside, other wise he's not allowed to shoot. I'm sure there are those would let their kids wing at anything so they could hopefully brag about their accomplishments but not me.

TripleSe7en said:
tpcollins said:

No private land
No bait

TripleSe7en............ Please do me a favor and lighten up on your "mountain man" type/style/belief hunting and the Huron National Forest crap. You seem to believe that the Huron National Forest is someplace extra ordinary special, which its not. There are many roads, homes and private properties located in the Huron National Forest and a decent cell phone will work in it too. Its just a lot of average state and federal land, poorly managed by both the state and feds. The Huron National Forest doesn't hold a quantity or quality of whitetail, which Commemorative Bucks of Michigan will indicate http://buckfax.com/ . How do I know that information? I live in the area.

No need to ruin a great post with those statements TripleSe7en and I apologize to the OP for mine.

No need to apologize. Someone needed to say it. His complaining about hunting private land, using blinds and stands is long past "getting old".

It sure beats the heck out of the boy vegging at an Xbox on the sofa. If it takes a few perks to keep him interested in hunting at that age, so be it.

tpcollins said:
I picked him up Friday and we went out to eat before coming home. He drew this picture at the table of him shooting a big buck! He even has a little blood showing, I think the other two brown spots is refried beans, I laughed so hard.

That's one for the books, I love it! He will definitely jump for joy after his harvest :yeah:

Both of my girls went this weekend as well.

Younger one (14) was on her first hunt and chaperoned by her older brother. Private land with an owner who wanted to encourage youth hunting, sitting on foldup bag chairs in an Ameristep blind I placed a month ago, and using my Ultrec tripod as a front rest. Cell phones were only used to text us updates, not to surf.
She got a nice doe at ~30 yards with her Savage Axis in .223.

Older one (16) got a nice doe this morning with her .243 out of an elevated wood blind. It's got chairs in it and overlooks a well browsed corn field.

I grew up on public land hunting in hunts very much like what TripleSe7en describes, sitting in the woods where my only creature comfort was a HotSeat to sit on. It sucked. I thought it was a huge step up when after years of this I finally started to take a paperback book along to read.
It's one thing to now take my older son out on hunts where there are no creature comforts, but if I can introduce my girls to the sport and get them excited, I'll do it. The 14yo is extremely recoil sensitive, and went from being adamantly opposed to going deer hunting at all to now loving it. Isn't it better to have one more hunter added to our numbers? It will be much easier to now have her try various types of hunts now that she knows she enjoys the sport.

Well said Dr. Vette! Congrats to both of you getting your kids out! Love the drawing and the stories! Keep up the great work!

BuckDoeHunter said:
tpcollins said:

That's one for the books, I love it! He will definitely jump for joy after his harvest :yeah:

Save that drawing and give it back to him with the photo of him and his harvest in 20 years.

Congrats to Dr.Vett's daughters also!

777-
I hunt this way with my 9yo son using a tripod in a blind over a feeder at 25 yds. We also use a 2 man ladder stand with a built in blind. He has ADHD and the most valuable tool he has is his Nintendo DS and Ipad. He took a nice turkey this year while still 8, but never got a shot at a deer last fall within range(50 yds). This year we are expanding our fun factor by buying a 4 man blind so we can bring my brother in law and his daughter.

You should learn to respect others values and keep your judgmental opinions to yourself.

Maybe you should box up your inline and go back to flintlock, and while your at it turn in your modern clothing, water proof boots etc....

tpcollins said:

That is awesome! I agree, save it and give it to him at some point in the future with a pic of his first harvest :yeah:

I've been taking my kids hunting since age 5. The absolute BEST thing anyone can do if they want to get and keep a kid interested, is make it as comfortable as possible so that they have fun. If it ain't fun, they don't want to do it long, and likely won't care to continue doing it. We all know its hunting, not shooting. Usually takes some time for kids to connect, if I had mine out there as T7 suggests, they'd probably have quit a long time ago.

Thanks WV - if my first pic got a rouse, this one might also. We hunted that way when he was 6. Last year when he was 7, I bought him a crossbow so we could take advantage the warmer weather and increase his chances - I would have bought him a vertical bow but it's hard to teach a youth when there's some distance between us. Same setup and he's pretty good at 20 and 30 yards - notice he's required to wear safety glasses with a xbow too.

Latest posts

Back