Youth loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega45

Reaction score
For Christmas my 11yr old son received a new .45 Encore Bergara barrel w/ QRBP and a LH TH laminated stock and forend from EA Brown. Also a Western Powders QRBP was bought for the barrel. Due to my work schedule of not being off much on weekends and also trying to avoid the weekend warriors at the range......... it had not been shot. I threw it on my frame since my TH is on the correct side for some shooting this morning. I wanted to find a nice easy recoiling load for him which is still accurate at 100yds. It took me a few more shots then I wanted to get on paper but the first 3 shot group with Barnes 155 TAC's was decent with 80gr BH209. This barrel is a little on the loose side so tan MMP's were used. I then switched to Barnes 195's in the tan MMP's and shot a 3 shot group. This is a very pleasant recoiling load that he should not be afraid to pull the trigger on.

Barnes 155 TAC's
AlexPH5.jpg

Barnes 195's
AlexPH4.jpg

Western Powders did a great job on these plugs. No blowback with Win209's. No o-ring no nothing.
AlexPH3.jpg

After cleaning the barrel and plug I threw it back on his frame so its ready for him. School is out for him on Tuesday. Might get some shooting in later next week.
AlexPH2.jpg

AlexPH.jpg

Either of the bullets shot should make a short tracking job if he can put one in the sweet spot. Groups were shot last Thursday, 5-31-12.

I took my son out this morning to shoot his gun. Groups were fired by him at 50yds with 70gr BH209. Yeah, he wanted to use 70gr. I was very happy with his shooting!!

1st group after 2 practice shots.
Barnes Tac 155 (knurled)
MMP tan
alexPH8.jpg

2nd group after scope adjustment.
Hornady 200gr SST's (knurled)
Harvester lt blue smooths
alexPH9.jpg

His set up. He don't need no stinkin Lead Sled.
alexPH7.jpg

Looks like he is ready to go. I did the same thing for my grandson last year. Worked up a load with a 451 350gr HP Gould bullet with 50gr of Pryodex P. To me it felt like shooting a 223. He did real fine with it shooting, unfortunately the deer were not cooperating :x

Gotta love those TACs for a lower recoil option and the price compared to other monolithic bullets. My friends 16yr old grandson was shooting them with about 90gr and he couldn't get enough of them. BTW my old Accura 45 needed to use the MMP tan too for best accuracy.

My daughter started kill'n with 250 gr bullet and 60 gr of BH209. Plenty enough power within the proper ranges

Latest posts

Back