youth mozzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocchipper

Reaction score
I'm not new to muzzleloading, but was wondering about a a frontend loader for my 11 year old son . He already has a Remington 700 but it is just to heavy for him. I don't know if anyone makes one for a small person. I would like one that would shot about 50 grains max with a range of about 25 to 50 yards max. He's been using a rest for over a year now and he is a real good shot :) :) Just would like him to start off hand with-out getting kicked into tomorrow. Any help on this subject would be very helpful :eek:
chocchipper

:D Welcome chocchipper.

Are you lookin for an inline or sidelock for ur Son...plus any preference on caliber?

Loggy,
I'd say inline since his son already a Rem 700.

chocchipper,
Unfortunately there aren't many options when looking for a youth model inline. I can only think of one particular one right now. The Knight Wolverine was available in a youth model recently. Perhaps Knight could help you locate one if they don't have any. The have a 22" barrel and a shorter length of pull. They are also synthetic stocked. http://www.knightrifles.com/ or for contact info: http://www.knightrifles.com/ContactUs/default

Guess inline it is then assuming no interest in change from such. Other options are certainly available when "frontend loader" class is of inquiry.

An NEF Sidekick in 24" may be a nice fit as well! LOP would be easy to modify if you got the blue/walnut. The cost wont kill you either.

On top of that.. This is a hammer gun, it may be a bit safer for that little guy with ?

sidekick.jpg

JJ

Doohan said:
An NEF Sidekick in 24" may be a nice fit as well! LOP would be easy to modify if you got the blue/walnut. The cost wont kill you either.

On top of that.. This is a hammer gun, it may be a bit safer for that little guy with ?

sidekick.jpg

JJ

I agree JJ. That might be the perfect youth gun.

Doohan said:

sidekick.jpg

JJ

Ya know they do make youth stocked guns. All it would take is a call to find out if a youth stock would work for that gun. If not that one than perhaps the Huntsman which is the 4473 version that allows interchangable barrels.

H&R 1871, LLC
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440
Tel. 978-630-8220

Knight Youth Wolverine 209. I bought one for my girlfriend and she loves it! :D She has killed a big Tennessee hog with it using a 240gr A-Frame and 60gr fffg Triple Se7en and a whitetail doe using a 200gr .40 XTP and 70gr fffg Triple Se7en. Excellent on game performance with both loads. Recoil is mild with both loads as well. Knight will even up-grade the youth stock to full size when necessary at no charge! :D Who else will do that? I vote for the Wolverine 209 Youth!

Patrick has found the best price around for you. Auction Arms will have them less from time to time.

Sorry, I was'nt more clear on this. He's not a big guy by any means. I suppose an inline just for the ease of cleaning. So far I have in my case a knight Lk thumbhole(can't give this one up) ,A+H 320(way to heavy)Remington 700,Armsport 20c(way to long), CVA double 50(junk).I was maybe thinking of the NEF and cutting the it to fit. Wanted him to start being able to work a good load and be able to load it himself. Seems like everything I have loads way to hard for the little guy. Thanks for all your good input.
Chocchipper

The joys of muzzleloading include being able to create your own loads. Try a patched round ball on top of 50 gr of pyrodex or triple seven. Try a .495 ball and .015 patch. I would avoid the thicker .018 patch unless this combo gives poor accuracy. I have shot this load and recoil is negligible. It should give you acceptable performance in your 25-50 yd Range requirements. You could use 3F 777 or Pyro P for better velocities with the same volume of powder.

Also I would avoid cutting a stock unless absolutely neccesary. Check to see if NEF has a youth stock that will fit that gun. You only need the buttstock so I doubt it would run you too much.

I guess he already has two H+Rs youth guns, maybe I can get a muzzle loader barrel for one them. I'll email and see what happens. But now you guys have me thinking on that youth knight . Mines been such a good gun maybe I should do the same for him. After all what kid wouldn't want to be like his dad :lol: I just wish I had someone to get me started when I was his age :shock:

Sorry to post twice in a row but was just reading H&Rs barrel page and they answered my Question for me . Yes, they will fit a barrel to any rifle receiver. You just fill out the paper work and send every thing to them except the barrel and bingo a youth muzzleloader that he's used to.

Choc,

Wish I had seen this post earlier. The Rossi youth ML is a great rifle and is almost identical to a NEF. Plus, its quite reasonable. I only gave $140 for my wifes I believe. You can order them through Wal-Marts gun order catalog or anyone that carries Rossi should be able to get it.

She is only 5'2" and it fits her perfectly. They actually reccommend only shooting the gun with a 50 grain charge to start out with. Like any youth gun, it is light and thus has a fair amount of recoil. BUT.... I believe with a 50 grain charge it would be no worse than a rem. 700, thats for sure. My wife shoots a .45 cal with 80 grains of pellets and 175 grain aerotip PB. She can shoot it many 6-7 times before she starts hurting. Which is great for her.

I would also reccommend the .45 as you can get smaller bullets for this caliber and decrese the recoil even more.

Really no complaints with the Rossi at all. Shot tight groups at 5O yards she had 3 rounds touching and a fourth 1/2 inch high. Although it looks like a NEF (I mean almost exactly like it, including an extendable brass rod) it does not have a primer carrier like the NEF.

You wanna know anything else about the gun let me know. Info on Rossi stuff is extremely difficult to find, trust me I know. I bought this gun unseen, as I could find NO ONE that carried them in stock. Took a chance for only 140 bucks (or thereabouts) and it paid off.

Please let us know what you decided to get.

Back