Youth Remington 700ML 1st Range Session

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a 50 cal. Youth Remington 700ML online for a good price, it's in nice shape and came with a Nikon 2x7-32 scope, integral bases/rings, sling, tools, and soft case. The only thing I bought for it was DerfHunter's Bolt Nose Kit with breech plug :D My youngest daughter will use the rifle next fall.

I took it completely apart, including removing the barrel. I wanted to get all traces of carbon/powder residue out of every nook and cranny, give it a good inspection, and lube where necessary.

Youth%20Remington%20700ML_zpsasprwick.jpg

It was cold out today, and snow coming, but I just had to go out and shoot :partyman:

Only load shot today was 80gr BH209 by volume, W209 primer, Barnes 250gr TEZ (knurled), Harvester smooth black sabot. I figured what the heck and put out a target at 100yds, normally I start at 25yds but it WAS cold.

Shot 1 - not pictured, hit about 20 inches to the right, adjusted scope lots of clicks to the left
Shot 2 - same elevation and closer to the bull, adjusted scope further left
Shot 3 - same elevation and closer still, adjusted scope left 4 clicks and down 4 clicks, thought ok time to get serious
Shot 4 - perfect windage but WHOA what happened to my elevation? Ok I'll shoot again with no adjustments
Shot 5 - way left :huh?: No adjustments made
Shot 6 - windage good again, decided to adjust 3 clicks up
Shot 7 - higher but left again
Shot 8 - last one of the weighed charges left, I was hoping for closer to 7 but it didn't happen, oh well, more range time and load work

3f3a6fd2-485b-458d-a391-fd5933e99919_zpsjanqe4ct.jpg

Overall, a good range session, got a feel for the rifle and found out what worked and what didn't. I think session 2, I will bump the charge up to 90gr of BH209 and try some 300gr XTPs. All primers came out squeaky clean and none needed a second strike to remove them from the bolt, that made me happy. The factory trigger was actually quite nice, no creep and I'm guessing around 3lbs of pull. The Nikon scope was nice, very good eye relief and easy to see duplex reticle. Recoil was very light, the complete rifle weighs 8lbs 10oz.

Possible upgrades this summer will be a Boyds laminate stock in BlackJack with aluminum pillars and a full bedding job, one piece steel base/Warne low steel rings, Black Ice treatment (not very likely but ya never know :think: ), and and and....maybe someday a stock rifle will be enough :wall:

I had better luck with the 250 gr xtp or the 250 sst, knurled for a tight fit and the harvester smooth black sabots.
It seems the tighter the fit the better mine shot.
It has been quite a few years since I shot the 50 cal but I am sure 90-100 gr of blackhorn shot the best for me

Nice first outing. Sure would be a nice stick with a little short .45 barrel for your daughter! :D Ahhh the upgrades are endless....

If the bullet is not tight enough it could be slipping and not spinning fast enough to stabilize. Knurling or paper patching the way its done for some lead bullets at Friendship might help. I have to do that for some bullets in my 45.

SCHUNTER said:
Nice first outing. Sure would be a nice stick with a little short .45 barrel for your daughter! :D Ahhh the upgrades are endless....

Always keeping an eye out :D I'd love to try some sabotless 45 cal. bullets.

Lee 9 said:
If the bullet is not tight enough it could be slipping and not spinning fast enough to stabilize. Knurling or paper patching the way its done for some lead bullets at Friendship might help. I have to do that for some bullets in my 45.

The bore on this one is definitely not tight, loading pressure was not super easy but as cold as it was, I expected more seating pressure. I've got some 250gr TMZs leftover, I'll try those too. I also test fired a number of 209 primers before heading to the range, my flash channel may have had too much carbon in it, next time I'll try to clean the breech plug after 3 or so shots.
---------------------------------------------
Just cleaned the breech plug, flash channel had minimum fouling in it, surprised me, I thought it would have been somewhat full like some of my other breech plugs but this one stays fairly clean :D

Latest posts

Back