Zeiss Conquest vs Leupold Vari X-III

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf_River_Mike

Reaction score
You guys that have or have shot/hunted with both, what is your preference between the Zeiss Conquest 3x9v40 and the Leupold Vari X-III
3.5x10x40.

Base your opinions on performance and not price, if you would.
Thanks -Mike

Man hard to answer this one cause I own both and really love both but think I would give a very slight edge to Zeiss. For resale though I think Leupold would get the edge. Can't beat either! :D

Hey Wolf, I cannot speak to the VX-III's but I have two Conquests, the 3x9x40 and the 3.5x10x50 and they are by far my best glass!!

The Zeiss gets the nod because it has more available windage and elevation.

I've got both and have hunted with both... REALLY not a lot of difference.. The Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 is a little shorter and a little lighter..I like that. The Conquest 3-9X40 DOES have more w/e adjustment...I like THAT! The Leupolds w/e adjustment covers are metal where the Conquest is plastic. The Conquest comes with a useable lens cover the Leupold comes with nothing to cover the lens. Both have the best eye relief in the business.. Warranty work, Leupold probably has the edge. Resale of course Leupold has the edge. Leupolds custom shop will install practically any reticle you desire and would even paint your scope if your choose! You CAN usually get some type of free goods with the Leupold.. You really picked two scopes that is really diffacult for me to choose between..Either one would be fine and serve you well....

I've got one Vari-X III and two Zeiss Conquests. I was a Leupold guy for years and have owned several, but the Zeiss is a better glass IMHO. I'd buy a Zeiss over a Leupy every time.

HokieHunter: I am with you on this one. I own 5 VX-III's, 2 VX-II's and 1 VX-I. I was very much a Leupold guy for over 20 years, but now I own 2 Zeiss Conquest's. I still really like the Leupold's would not dream of getting rid of them, but I would have to give a slight edge to Zeiss for my preference.

The Leupold's have stood the test of time, I have not owned my Zeiss's long enough to comment on their long-term durability.

I have to say, however, that the Nikon scopes are the best value available in a scope. Again, IMHO.

HokieHunter said:
I have to say, however, that the Nikon scopes are the best value available in a scope. Again, IMHO.

I've been wantin to try a Nikon but I've heard they're more critical on keeping your eye centered or they black out easier. Have you noticed this?

dwhunter said:
HokieHunter said:

I've been wantin to try a Nikon but I've heard they're more critical on keeping your eye centered or they black out easier. Have you noticed this?

I have a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 Scope. It a good scope and I would put it in the Leupold VX-II class. The only thing I notice is that the lens seems to fog easier than the Leupold when you breathe on it. Never have had a mechanical problem with it, so I can't speak for their customer service.

I've not noticed them to blackout any easier than other scopes. The thing that has always impressed me was the clarity and brightness for the money. That's why I always thought of them as a good value.

HokieHunter said:
I've not noticed them to blackout any easier than other scopes. The thing that has always impressed me was the clarity and brightness for the money. That's why I always thought of them as a good value.

I've had the Monarch 3-9X40 UCC for a while. It's another back-up scope. :D Optically it's really surprisingly good. Very little if any behind a VX-III/Conquest. Honestly I don't know of a thing that is wrong with it. Really good scope for less than $300.00

I have both and agree the zeiss gets the nod from me as well. My reasons are optically better, I prefer a 1 piece tube design(VXIII is 3), constant eye relief, etched reticle vs wire (no bronzing of the hairs on a blue bird days) and the z plex reticle imo is significantly better than leuys standard duplex choices.

I still own 2x1 Leupolds (4) vs Zeiss(2), so no dishing here just think the zeiss is a better return for the money at present.

BTW Zeiss I hear is introducing a new lighter Conquest. Also talk about adding some leupold fan favorite like the 2x7's to the mix.

The Monarch is a bright scope and certainly of good value. However for 100 less I still like the Elite 3200 in the bang for the buck slot. FFII by Burris seems to be pretty close as well in terms of optics, just don't like the power adjustment and not to sure about their CS dept. I owned a sign series for a few years no troubles just didn't really leave a burning impression, so when I found a guy who was just go go for Burris..it went bye bye without to much heartache.

Sorry for the ramble...good luck in your decision. Best to judge both with your eyes in a side by side. Can't really go wrong with either!!!!

I made up this document when I was shopping, don't know how well it will transfer over to this format, let's give it a try:

SCOPE COMPARISON

ZEISS CONQUEST
Square Reticle Adjustment The Zeiss approach to altering windage and elevation, where the movement of one adjustment does not alter the position of the other adjustment. Our adjustment range is square, unlike most conventional riflescopes. This offsets the reticle's natural tendency to follow a curving path, which makes it all but impossible to sight-in accurately. What is the result of square reticle adjustment? Maximum adjustment accuracy at all times.

Catalog No.: CONQUEST 3-9x40 MC black - 521460

CONQUEST 3-9x40 MC The traditional all-purpose riflescope for American hunting conditions with 3x to 9x power and eye relief of 4 inches. Due to its compact design - 13.15 inches long and 15 oz. - this scope is also popular with mountain hunters in Europe. It provides wide fields of view - 34 feet at 100 yards and 3x, and 11 feet at 100 yards and 9x - for an optimum overview. Thanks to an objective lens diameter of 40 mm, the image provided is still bright and brilliant even in poor light.

RETICLE?S#4, #20,#43 IS AVAILABLE ON THIS MODEL:http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/?Open

Technical Data
Magnification 3-9x
Objective (mm) 40
Tube diameter (inches) 1
Field of view (ft at 100 yds) 33.90-11.01
Parallax (yards) 100
50 Shotgun
Reticle Image Plane (Magnifying) 2nd
(no)
Exit pupil (mm) 13.3-4.4
Eye relief (inches) 4.02
Length (inches) 12.99
Weight (ounces) 15.17
MOA 1/4
Windage/Elevation Adjustment (inches) 64.08
Diopter Adj +2/-3

CONQUEST 3.5-10x44 MC

A powerful all around riflescope providing a wide field of view - 35.1 feet at 100 yards and 3.5x, and 11.6 feet at 100 yards and 10x. This riflescope is 12.7 inches long and weighs only 15.9 oz., which is why many American hunters take it with them on hunting trips. Thanks to its objective lens diameter of 44 mm, the riflescope is ideally suited for use at dawn and early dusk -- a popular model for hunting in Alaska.

Catalog No.:
CONQUEST 3.5-10x44 MC black - 521420
Technical Data
Magnification 3.5-10
Objective (mm) 44
Tube diameter (inches) 1
Field of view (feet at 100 yds) 35.1-11.70
Parallax (yards) 100
Reticle Image Plane (Magnifying) 2nd (no)
Exit pupil (mm) 12.57-4.4
Eye relief (inches) 3.5
Length (inches) 12.68
Weight (ounces) 15.87
MOA 1/4
Windage/Elevation Adjustment (inches) 65.88
Diopter Adj +2/-3

AVAILABLE RETICLE?S FOR THIS MODEL ARE # 4,#20,#43,#58 :http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/?Open

At this time I think I would prefer reticle #20 for the Savage MLII

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bushnell.com/products/rifles ... e_4200.cfm

BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 1.5-6X36 mm

1.5-6 x 36mm 42-1636M

MODEL FINISH POWER / OBJ LENS
(mm) RETICLE FIELD-OF-VIEW
ft@100yds/
m@100m WEIGHT
(oz/g)
42-1636M Matte 1.5-6 x 36 Multi-X? 61.8/[email protected]
16.1/5.4@6x 15.4 / 436

LENGTH
(in / mm) EYE
RELIEF
(in / mm) EXIT PUPIL
(mm) CLICK VALUE
in@100yds/
mm@100m
ADJ RANGE
in@100yds/
mm@100m MOUNTING
LENGTH
(in / mm)
12.8 / 325 3.3 / 83 [email protected] / 6@6x .25 /7 60 / 1.7 6.0 / 152

GENERAL FEATURES : Rainguard? Fully multi-coated optics Magnum recoil-proof construction One-piece hammer-forged tube 100% waterproof/fogproof/
shockproof construction Dry-nitrogen filled 1/4 M.O.A. or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment Elite? Bullet-Proof Warranty "No Questions Asked" one- year replacement (U.S. only)

2.5-10 x 40mm 42-2104M
A great all-round big-game hunting scope.
Reticle: Multi-X?
Finish: Matte

2.5-10 x 40mm 42-2104M

MODEL FINISH POWER / OBJ LENS
(mm) RETICLE FIELD-OF-VIEW
ft@100yds/
m@100m WEIGHT
(oz/g)
42-2104M Matte 2.5-10 x 40 Multi-X? 41.5/[email protected]
10.8/3.6@10x 16 / 453

LENGTH
(in / mm) EYE
RELIEF
(in / mm) EXIT PUPIL
(mm) CLICK VALUE
in@100yds/
mm@100m
ADJ RANGE
in@100yds/
mm@100m MOUNTING
LENGTH
(in / mm)
13.5 / 343 3.3 / 83 [email protected] / 4@10x .25 /7 50 / 1.4 6.0 / 152

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VX-III 3.5-10x40mm

Product Specifications
Actual Magnification: 3.3(3.5x) 9.60(10x)
Length (in): 12.6
Eyepiece Length (in): 3.20
Objective Length (in): 3.6
Objective Diameter (in): 1.83
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.55
Tube Diameter: 1.0in
Weight: 13.0 oz. / 369 grams
Eye Relief (in): 4.4(3.5x) 3.5(10x)
Eye Relief (mm): 112(3.5x) 91(10x)
Obj. Lens Diameter: 1.6in / 40mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 51
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 142
FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 29.7(3.5x) 11.0(10x)
FOV @ 100 m (m): 9.9(3.5x) 3.7(10x)

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm going to go with the Zeiss. If I can't beat The OPTIC Zone's price on ebay the next few days, I will order from them. $380 for a 3x9x40 with free shipping, order in March for April delivery. That price is proving hard to beat, just waiting another month for the scope is going to be tough :wall:

Passing along some information... I just got off the phone with Optic Zone, she told me the Zeiss 3x9x40's will ship out the 3rd of April :shock: Hopefully, I'll be able to see what I'm shooting at in a couple of weeks. :yeah:

Pienske delivered my Zeiss today. :yeah: Got it mounted temporarily for now just to check it out. Walked out back and pointed it at a few things, got it positioned like I want it, ran the zoom in and out a few times. The sight picture is really clear. I will go ahead and lock it down and hope to shoot it some later on in the week. My first impressions are, I'm glad I'm not a deer. I'd hate to think I had to make it past this rig come November. :wink:

Back