Zeroed at 50 yards POA at 100 yard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My backer comes from Home Depot ,it"s called rosin paper /$13.00 buys a big roll and I take a 3x4 ft piece on plywood and a 9in paper plate or 2 or 3 plates . I shoot a lot and then changer out the paper ,cheap and good to 400 yds with scope .I cast my own ,right now Lee REALS and Great plains cause the amount I shoot a day is measured in Lbs of lead ,I would go broke shooting store bought /Ed

Yes I saw this done recently. Guy used what looked like butcher paper and covered the entire target posts and all the way down. What I could not understand is why HE was doing that at the 10yard range. Stevie wonder shooting?!

I may go this route. The foam backer behind the target is pretty beat up so if you don't hit paper it's tough to tell which hole is yours.
Drag a 4’x4’ sheet of plywood or cardboard out there with you. You’ll see where you’re hitting

Drag a 4’x4’ sheet of plywood or cardboard out there with you. You’ll see where you’re hitting

Thanks good suggestion. After a little more experience I actually have gotten pretty good at seeing where my shots land.

Last time I zeroed I put the cross hairs on target and the without moving the rifle I lifted my head off the butt of the rifle and pulled the trigger. This made it easy to see where I was hitting.

Turns out from 50 to 100 there is some bullet drop. Quite a bit depending on caliber my .22 is about 8 or 10 inches low shooting at 100 when zeroed for 50.

Part of good accuracy is when you shoot you stay steady and follow through. Do not lift your head to see where the bullet hits. Just the slightest movement when you pull the trigger will throw the point of impact off. Do what sdporter says, get a 4' x 4' piece of cardboard and put a 1 or 2 inch bulls eye on it. set it at 50 yards and shoot 3 shots. Mark them with a pen or pencil. Now move the same cardboard to 100 yards and shoot again.

Part of good accuracy is when you shoot you stay steady and follow through. Do not lift your head to see where the bullet hits. Just the slightest movement when you pull the trigger will throw the point of impact off. Do what sdporter says, get a 4' x 4' piece of cardboard and put a 1 or 2 inch bulls eye on it. set it at 50 yards and shoot 3 shots. Mark them with a pen or pencil. Now move the same cardboard to 100 yards and shoot again.

to clarify I only use this technique to see where I was hitting when I was off paper. It's difficult to be one person looking down the scope being off paper and trying to figure out where you hit.

I have subsequently zeroed three rifles in the same way when I was off paper. I could have started at 25 work my way up to 50 and then went to 100. Which back when I wrote this post is what I think I did.

Yeah I get lifting your head off of the rifle is not the best way to hunt there. But to try to figure out where you're hitting when you're not on paper it's proven pretty effective. What works for me may not work for you. And in either case I've got it resolved.

Bought a bore sighter kit with several calibers and have always been on paper when sighting one in since then. Great tools!

I've had that happen. You probably shot high. Zero for 100yds and you should be good. When you zero'd for 50yds, there is another zero point further out. At 100yds, your bullet trajectory was at or close to it's highest point thus you missed your target.

Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it
6oLwCoS.jpg

If the OP is using a scope...maybe. if he is using open sights, there should only be minimal rise due to the open sights being just above the bore line.

Sorry half cocked. I didn't read the post carefully. If you have a technique that works for you by all means.

Did you make out ok on shells for your new pump shotgun. I have an inventory and would be glad to give you some. I have a friend in your area. I could get them to you.

Stacy I know what you mean. That purple spot appeared on my shoulder as well after firing about a dozen or shots of Swiss 2F and my 390gr conicals . I just ordered a slip fit recoil pad for my Renegade. Hopefully that will help??
I bought one at Walmart made by Limbsaver and it definitely made a difference. I bought it to lengthen the stock to make it fit me better (which it did) but the additional recoil dampening doesn't hurt.

You can get on paper with 1 shot. Put a dot on a 4x4 backer at 20-25 yards shoot one shot at the dot. Clamp or securely hold your rifle with the crosshairs on the dot then adjust windage and elevation until the crosshairs are on the bullet strike. Then move to 100. You’ll be on paper.

Sorry half cocked. I didn't read the post carefully. If you have a technique that works for you by all means.

Did you make out ok on shells for your new pump shotgun. I have an inventory and would be glad to give you some. I have a friend in your area. I could get them to you.

No worries brother. I had to zero one just today using this method. I really need to stop swapping scopes. It needed to be done though as I found a 6 to 24 zoom scope is overkill on a .22 savage. Definitely not the long range precision shooter I thought.

As far as shotgun stuff. My shotgun is currently in storage at a pawn shop. However I am always on the ammo hunt. So yes donations are appreciated if you need a review or anything let me know. Also I only I took a 10 dollar loan on it. I almost saw the pawn shop owner salivating.

Michiganmuzzy has been super cool as well letting me use some of his ammo. He has some killer slugs. Awesome guy. One of these days we all need to head to the range together.

You can get on paper with 1 shot. Put a dot on a 4x4 backer at 20-25 yards shoot one shot at the dot. Clamp or securely hold your rifle with the crosshairs on the dot then adjust windage and elevation until the crosshairs are on the bullet strike. Then move to 100. You’ll be on paper.

This is actually an excellent technique! I have heard of it before however I don't have a sled. My shooting is done at the range as I live in the city. I already carry a huge bag that I affectionately named the body bag. If I buy and carry anymore I will have to move there.

Also now I know what to expect on a scoped rifle zeroed at 50 I can anticipate the bullet drop at 100. For a 40 grain .22

Now I zero at 50 and on my 3-9 scope I hold over 1 mil dot at max zoom for 100. NICE!!

This is actually an excellent technique! I have heard of it before however I don't have a sled. My shooting is done at the range as I live in the city. I already carry a huge bag that I affectionately named the body bag. If I buy and carry anymore I will have to move there.
I’ve done it several times with great success WITHOUT a sled. Just off of sandbags on a couple of coats wadded up. I only picked up a sled about 3 years ago, and I only use it if I know I’m gonna be out there a while. On a zero check, I just shoot off of a small sandbag set usually. Or I’ll fold the soft case under the forearm.

When I sighted in the new scope on the Wolverine I use 2"square cardboard painted white with 3" black bull. Covered the holes in the white with pieces of blank address labels, felt marker over the black ones. 25yds was about 2" high. 47 yds was hitting the same place, centered but a bit high. Shooting 80 gr, Pyrodox pushing a 340 gr. saboted bullet.

Yep it's not so bad trying to blind sight a rifle that shoots .22 rounds at .08 cents a piece. Even a buck a round is manageable. But if I ran some of that 3 dolla per bang stuff I would definitely beg borrow or... (No that's it. I don't steal lol) a bore sighted.

Latest posts

Back