cva accura mr accuracy question and how to contact cva

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpron said:
ok grouse, how many shots before you drill the plug?

With BH209 in a modified plug no less then 30. That's on the low end to, so you should achieve 30'easy with 777 as well. But you don't have a modified plug so I would clean after every range session for sure. Or no more then 15 shots

Yes, it really depends on the size of the flash channel and primer used. My Knight/ Lehigh plugs go 30 shots easily. Its flash channel is 5/32. Smaller diameter flash channels will require more frequent cleaning. Plugs with more blow back will also require more frequent cleaning. Using mag primers will also require a bit more cleaning.

Triple7 is far more forgiving when it comes to carbon build up in the flash channel.

If Ron is still interested, have him convert your factory CVA plug to vent liner style with a 5/32 flash channel. Also get a firing pin bushing shim kit from CVA or Ed's gunshop in NC. The shim kit is like $5. Vent liners are around $5 for Lehighs and around $3 for Savage. They last many many shots before they need replacing. Most people should get over 200 shots from a Lehigh vent when using Blackhorn209, even more shots if using Triple7.

This combination will really help with ignition, cleanliness and reliability with all loose powders. Ron is also very affordable and turn around time is very good.

Gm54,
He probably shouldn't do anything until he makes sure nothing is wrong with the gun. They might void his warranty if he alters the plug.

I'm picky and use the drill in the BP every 7-8 shots. No need to even remove the BP to do it.

You aren't drilling it jpron. Turn the drill by hand. Better to put the drill in a pin vice. It makes it easier.

Certainly it seems the plugged up channel could be causing some issues... but also it sounds like its never shot well from the get go. I wonder how many shots have been fired total. I would give the whole gun a good cleaning, including the BP channel... then fire a fouling shot and then see how it groups. I clean my breech plug at the same time as I clean my rifle (after the range session) - which to date has always been under 25 rounds.

I have put about 125 loads through it. I shot some yesterday, I didn't "dril" the bp but I did remove it and clean it and the barrel after every shot. It was as clean as new before every shot. Best I could get was a 3 inch group at 50 yards. I did finally get ahold of someone at cva and he was very nice. He agreed it should shoot way better than that. He is having me send it back. I asked him about drilling the bp and he said that won't make that poor of a group that close. There is a sharp ring around the end of the barrel, I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or not, but it has my ram rod totally beat up. That doesn't seem normal to me but I hav nothing to compare to. Thanks again for all the help

I would check the button. If the end of the barrel is not square with the bore or if it is nicked or has a scratch in it will refuse to group.

jpron said:
I have put about 125 loads through it. I shot some yesterday, I didn't "dril" the bp but I did remove it and clean it and the barrel after every shot. It was as clean as new before every shot. Best I could get was a 3 inch group at 50 yards. I did finally get ahold of someone at cva and he was very nice. He agreed it should shoot way better than that. He is having me send it back. I asked him about drilling the bp and he said that won't make that poor of a group that close. There is a sharp ring around the end of the barrel, I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or not, but it has my ram rod totally beat up. That doesn't seem normal to me but I hav nothing to compare to. Thanks again for all the help

I think the guy gave you correct information. After you get the gun back I would seriously consider having that plug modified. They are made out of very soft metal and I'm sure you will be 100% happier when you get it back.

The plug on top Is modified with a ventliner by Ron. The plug below is a BH209 plug by CVA . The modified is much better for sure.

I bought 3 CVAs and all 3 are tack drivers after being sighted in. I use the O-Ring to help with the primer blow back. Please let us know what CVA does in your case. Thanks

IMG_2743.jpg

Back